Network Slow Down/Outage when Connecting Q-See NVR
maca1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Attached an 8 Channel Q-See QC818 model NVR with 4 IP camera's to our Actiontec MI424WR (rev f) router and everything functions as it should ( local and internet access to camera's) but after about 30 minutes all access to the router Including wireless) grinds to a halt......except for camera access.  Q-See support response was;

"Is the Fios router that you have manufactured by Actiontec? If so, we have noticed issues with these routers and certain devices and the routers crashing. I recommend that you contact Verizon and request a different modem that is NOT from Actiontec".

Any suggestion would be welcome.  Is it possible to get a non-Actiontec modem from Verizon?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Network Slow Down/Outage when Connecting Q-See NVR
maca1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update 09/15/2013

After much arguing with Verizon they agreed to replace the original Rev F ActionTec router with a Rev I and this resolved the network issues I was having with the Rev F router and the Q-See NVR system. As an added bonus Netflix seems to be streaming more reliably with this new router. 

View solution in original post

Zmodem

Theoretically, you should be able to take the ethernet cable from the Actiontec and connect a new router to it (whatever brand you choose) and let that router handle all of the business. You will also want to disable the wireless broadcast capabilities in your Actiontec router, so as not to add to static noise on your new router's broadcast channel.

Also: Before you try buying a new router, try disabling WMM in your Actiontec (not sure why, but some people have had bad luck with this default 'enabled' option):

1. Login to your router (192.168.1.1).

2. Click on 'Wireless Settings' at the top (2nd item from the left).

3. On the left side of the screen, click 'Advanced Security Settings'.

4. Scroll to the bottom of that new page and click on 'Other Advanced Wirless Options'.

5. Click 'Yes' on the warning screen.

6. Scroll down on that new screen and click on 'WMM Settings'.

7. Uncheck the box next to 'Wireless QoS (WMM)'.

8. Click apply and let the router save the settings (takes up to 30 seconds).

WMM gives multimedia precedence over all other network items. In the case of your security system, that result can be conflicting with the priority levels of the surveillance system. The conflict may also cause your security system to believe that the stream has failed when it has not.

Good luck! Note that if you are not sure of how to accomplish the goal of having 2 routers together, just get ahold of a FiOS technician and tell them immediately what you want. Most of the base-line techs will need to transfer you to a system tech.

0 Likes
maca1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Many thanks for the suggestions.  I tried the WMM change but it did not help. I do have another router so that will be my next step. 

I did find today that all is fine until I first  access the DVR/cameras from the network.  The first thing I notice is that I can do a Google search and get results but selecting the end target times out.  Gets worse until after another few minutes I cannot get the Google site and even access to the router is very slow. Unplugging the DVR-router cable gets everything back to normal in a few minutes.  A switch between the 2 units did not help.

If I ever get this working I'll update this post.

0 Likes
maca1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update 09/15/2013

After much arguing with Verizon they agreed to replace the original Rev F ActionTec router with a Rev I and this resolved the network issues I was having with the Rev F router and the Q-See NVR system. As an added bonus Netflix seems to be streaming more reliably with this new router. 

javali
Thank you! sir! I've been pulling my hair for 2 days straight trying to figure this out. Calling Verizon tomorrow.
0 Likes
mohammi1

My network crashes after I installed a Q-SEE NVR QC858. I've seen similar posts and the same thing happened at a relative's house. Is there any way to set this system up to the actiontec router?  It seems to start up fine and work well for a short while but then then speed dies down to almost zero and eventually all connectivity is lost.

0 Likes