Not getting the speed I'm paying for
cbrady2k

I've been a happy Fios customer for years and I've always upgraded to their latest and greatest the second it became available since Fios has, in the past, always outperformed whatever was promised. However things have changed. I upgraded to the 75/35 package, the highest level available in my area, but I've never achived that speed, but in the days after the upgrade it was close enough for me to be happy, around 70mb on the downloads. However in the months since then it was gotten slower and slower to now where I'm happy if I'm getting 50mb downloads. While that is still fast, that is what I got when I was on the cheaper 35/35 plan I had before I upgraded (as I said they used to overachive). All I want is what I'm paying for, if they could go over that be wonderful but it isn't required. What is required is that they come close to the numbers I'm paying for -- and those 50mb numbers are just getting to their local test servers, not even real world numbers which are slightly slower than that.

To answer ahead of time, I don't use bittorrent -- but I do download a ton of stuff via Netflix, YouTube and Steam. Then again I've always done that. There is no reason I would be being throttled.

So not to condem Fios since I've always been a happy customer, my router from them is I think about 4 years old -- in addition to the lack of speed I'm running into issues of having to reset it more often and the internet going dead if something is running at max download, like Steam. I'm thinking, hoping, that maybe just my router needs to be replaced. Since this is supposed to be a monitored forum how do I go about this without spending an hour on the phone doing what I've already done by myself 10 times before. For the record I was doing internet tech support as far back as 1996, I'm an extremely experienced user and have no interest in having someone tell me to reboot my router -- I know, I've done that.

Assuming that someone is reading this that can help please contact me with information on how to replace the router, just send me a new one in the mail, I'll be extremely happy with that.

Thank you,

Christopher

0 Likes
Re: Not getting the speed I'm paying for
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Someone may chime in to help you out here. Otherwise, just stop by Live Chat or give Tech Support a call. Tell them you're having to reboot your router a lot and you believe it's going bad. Verizon's typically very good with sending you a new router without question.

Give your router a factory reset, though, and make sure it's not covered in dust. Just to give that a try 🙂

Also, if you use MoCa for WAN connectivity, consider checking your MoCa signal levels to see if your Coaxial connections are acting up. That can also cause your Internet to decrease in speed and drop out under high load. See: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16569

cbrady2k

Anyone with Fios are to help me out here? The whole point of writing all this out was to bypass having to call and have someone tell me to reset my mo-dem and make me waste and hour doing stuff I've done 100 times.

Thank you,

Christopher

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@cbrady2k wrote:

Anyone with Fios are to help me out here? The whole point of writing all this out was to bypass having to call and have someone tell me to reset my mo-dem and make me waste and hour doing stuff I've done 100 times.

Thank you,

Christopher

You rarely will hear from Verizon here, as these forums are meant as peer to peer.

One of the Contact options may help you.  e.g. chat

Some of us may be able to  offer suggestions with more detail.  SMITH6612 has already offered one suggestions, and has posted in other threads a bunch of other suggestions.

0 Likes