Not using the Verizon router?
JRL21

I have had VZ FIOS Internet only ( no phone, no TV) service for a long time. I have never used the original VZ router. It was a small linksys Ethernet only (no wireless)  device. My ONT is connected to my router with Ethernet. I use an Apple airport extreme with several subnets. Everything works fine.

Last week I received an actiontec router unsolicited from Verizon with a note about a free upgrade. Since everything works fine I ignored it. Now I am getting voice messages about needing to install the new router, and threatening service interruptions if I don't.  In reading the forums,  everything I have seen says I don't need to use the Actiontec unless I want to use the FIOS TV service.  Am I misunderstanding something? Is there any benefits I' m not seeing that would justify the time to insert the actiontec into my setup and set it up to just pass  through to my airport extreme?

Thanks for advance for any feedback.

0 Likes
Re: Not using the Verizon router?
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

It's possible your connection is being upgraded from PPPoE to DHCP.  There have been reports over at http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27777924-Verizon-sent-me-a-router of users being sent new routers because their original VZ supplied routers don;t support WAN auto-configuration.

As long as your router can support either a PPPoE or DHCP WAN connection, you should be fine.  If the Airport Express doesn't auto-detect the type of WAN connection, you'll have to reconfigure your WAN connection manually when the changeover occurs.

0 Likes
Arek

A week ago I also received the new router. I have fios for some years now and I removed the inferior Verizon router the same day and replaced with my own. At this time I have a Netgear R6300 ac and the Motorola NIM for my fios TV. The futures I can't have by not using Verizon router are not so important to me. Eg. Can't program my dvr box remotely from internet.

Are there any other futures that I don't now about? All new routers can auto-program themselves to pppoe or dhcp and are IPV6 capable. I dont think that the one they sent me is.. maybe with new firmware. Verizon is not offering it yet.

Actiontec is not even a gigabit router. To set it up as pass trough does not make sense. Am I missing something?

0 Likes
JRL21

Thanks for the help. The airport extreme can be manually configured for DHCCP. Is there anyway to know when they plan to make that change?

0 Likes
eds6

Hi all:

I have a Netgear WNDR3700 router running dd-wrt firmware that I didn't want to replace with the Actiontec router. I asked the FSC (888-553-1555) to set up my ONT for Ethernet through the 100BaseTX connector rather than through the broadband coax connector. I made sure to release the IP address of the Actiontec before connecting the Netgear to the Ethernet port. I then followed the instructions on http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15990 that fit my situation. My setup allows me to continue using my specialized router configuration while supporting the MoCa bridge (http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16626) on the Actiontec router as a secondary device. This configuration preserves the VOD/guide functions on the attached set top boxes.

Cheers

0 Likes