One laptop out of three having internet connection issues....
humarock1150
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just got hooked up with Fios internet.  Prior had Comcast and all computers ran like a charm on the wireless...this one computer we have only will connect if I am in the room where the wireless router is.  I spent two hours on chat support but was told it is the computer.  Which I KNOW it is not, how could it be an issue if 15 min. prior to FIOS being installed it was running fine on Comcasts' Wireless router?

It is running on Windows XP and once I get out of the room with the router, it then says acquiring network address, no connectivity.

Anyone else have this issue and if so how can it be resolved.  They are sending a new router, which I find it hard to believe it would only effect one out of three computers.

Thanks in advance. 

0 Likes
Re: One laptop out of three having internet connection issues....
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

On the affected computer, check what driver version you have installed for the Wireless card. From that point, check for updated drivers from the Wireless card manufacturer. If any are available, install them. Also, since Verizon is starting to deploy Wireless N routers, they must use WPA2 security by default as a part of the Wireless N specification. Please be sure you are running Windows XP Service Pack 3 as well. Windows XP SP2 does not have WPA2 support without patching.

Granted, WPA2 is enabled by default on the Rev. G and I ActionTecs. Rev. F while it is on wireless N (Draft), comes with WEP enabled.

0 Likes
humarock1150
Enthusiast - Level 3

I checked and am running an Atheros AR5005G wireless card and did do the check for an update.  Still to no avail.  Then they sent me another router, this one I noticed had a WEP key not a WPA2 key..I also had the Service pk3 in that laptop as well..so I hooked that up and still had the same issue.  I was fine if I'm in the room WITH the router, leave the room, loose the connectivity.  So I took the one they sent, hooked that up in the space that laptop usually is, hooked the primary router in our upstairs level and all works fine, although I do notice, I was in a room right next to the primary router and lost the signal on my laptop now.  Very frustrating.  Had the 'competitor' for 9 years and not ONCE did I have an internet issue, always fast, always on, no drops in signal, nothing and ALL my computers, two laptops, one net book and one tablet, all worked through out the house no matter where you where and in the garage, even out side in the front and back yards....never slowed down at all either.

I am talking to FIOS via FB and they are checking to see if I can just keep the two running and I certainly do NOT want to pay for it. I notice my speed tests are higher, but not noticing any difference at all, except all the problems, between the two.

VERY frustrating.  I'm glad I'm not working from home as that would be devistating. 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Alrighty. Just to be sure the driver version you're running right now is 9.2.0.104, right? That's the latest driver right now for that card that you have. You can get the .inf files for it here if you're running a lower version: http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-download.php?chipset=9&system=1 (This is for WINXP only. Don't try it on a Vista/7 machine)

What are the two revisions of routers Verizon sent you? Just so I get a better idea on what's being dealt with here.

0 Likes
humarock1150
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'll definatley check that in the a.m., and thank you for that link, will go back and make sure.  The two routers look similar, but one has a red bar going around it and that key states wpa2, the new one they sent seems to be older, it has just a silver bar around it and a wep key number instead.  The markings seem older as well and it did seem to look 'used' to me.  Not a brandy new one.  No stand came with it either.  The other difference is the red banded wpa2 has two antenna and the silver banded wep has one antenna.

They installed the primary in our utility room on the back wall, then in front of that is a washer, dryer, then the heating system, the venting, etc....that goes into a very small hallway, then into a 16x24 playroom, then 4 steps up to the landing there are two doors, metal of course, and one goes to the garage, between the primary and the garage is about 60 steps maximum, it's a split, but not a huge split ranch....so there isn't a lot of ground to cover, but there is alot to get in the way maybe?

I'm semi technical (use to be technical support for tv/billing for the 'competitor' LOL)....but not heavily.  ;O)....

Thanks for the help it is much appreciated....if I can't log onto my FB and play my Bingo Blitz,(without having the connection dropping) the world could end you know LOL...

Kelley

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Orange/Red banded unit would be a Rev. I. Hang onto that unit as what you have is something that does Wireless N and Gigabit. The older one with a silver bizel could be anything. Send the silver one to Verizon if they want it back should a driver update fix this.

Let me know how things turn out with the driver update.

0 Likes
humarock1150
Enthusiast - Level 3

So after frustrating myself to the point of opening the window to toss my laptop out....I called Fios support...got a GREAT guy, Kevin and we went over some stuff, and he had me change out the red banded router for the silver band (I'm sooo technical aren't I? lol)....he also told me about the DNS changer that went around and had me go online hardwired to check my computer, and we looked at some other items, but all in all, NO PROBLEMS now...it appreared to be the router itself, so he is sending a replacement.  I have lost two previous laptops to viruses, never had protection on them, and I reFUSE to lose this one!  LOL....

So hopefully that will be the end of it....AND on the flip side, I now have my computer wired instead of wireless and am enjoying the faster speed capabilities.  Another bonus point for FIOS...and to think i was going to cancel them on Monday...NOT A CHANCE NOW!

Thanks for your help! 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're welcome! Glad to hear it's all solved! 🙂

0 Likes