One of my devices won't stay connected to wifi
Tannox

Router: Actiontec MI424WR Rev.I

I've got  a variety of devices and all work fine except for one Windows 8.1 laptop that loses it's wifi connection after a few minutes.

I have an almost identical laptop which no longer this problem (I had to disable hardware sleep on both of them originally).but what's weird is that the laptop in question stays connected to every other router I've tried without problems - it's only the Verizon router at home that it won't stay connected to.

Anyone have any ideas?

0 Likes
Re: One of my devices won't stay connected to wifi
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

It would be difficult to troubleshoot your problem without being able to actually sit in front of both of your laptops.  However, my take is that since one laptop has the problem and one doesn't, it's not a FiOS issue. 

There's more likely some subtle configuration setting, or something one laptop is running in the background that the other isn't, that's causing the problem.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

You should use the in home agent on this one.   It's a free download from verizon.  It not only tells you how many wireless interferers you have at that spot/location but it also allows to go load it onto a laptop and you can walk around the house and map your wifi hotzones and cold zones.   This allows you to get a bigger picture as to what's going on in your home. You might just find that the part of the house that your trying to use that device is simply located in a bad part of the home, taking into considering where your router might be placed. 

If the router is in the basement on one end of the house and the windows 8 is in the far end of the house two floors up then that's almost a clear cut place that you want to physically locate the router to a more central part of the house to maximize coverage. 

Or you could do what I do and turn one or two pc's into a wireless access point.    It's a feature of windows (ics) and there are numerous freeware downloads that make it a little easier to do. 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

You mentioned two laptops, one working and the other not, but I didn't take that to mean in the exact same location of the house. 

0 Likes
Tannox

Thanks for the replies guys. To be clear, both laptops work without problems all the time except the one laptop won't stay connected to my FIOS router. I already moved the channel to avoid interference from the neighbors.

I was wondering if it was something like a known incompatible chipset.
I'll do some more tests and post back here if I find the answer.

0 Likes