Piggybacked routers, now can't seem to port forward
Chaos554

2 Weeks ago, I piggybacked my Linksys WRT160 router to my actiontec MI424WR. This boosted the speed and signal strength of the connection. Now whenever I enter the port forwards in the actiontec, it says the ports were successfully forwarded but if I check the ports, it says all the ports are closed. I can't seem to access the WRT160 through the IP i assigned it (192.168.0.99). The actiontec recognizes the WRT160 as a Hardware Ethernet Switch. Any ideas on what is happening? 

0 Likes
Re: Piggybacked routers, now can't seem to port forward
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@Chaos554 wrote:

2 Weeks ago, I piggybacked my Linksys WRT160 router to my actiontec MI424WR. This boosted the speed and signal strength of the connection. Now whenever I enter the port forwards in the actiontec, it says the ports were successfully forwarded but if I check the ports, it says all the ports are closed. I can't seem to access the WRT160 through the IP i assigned it (192.168.0.99). The actiontec recognizes the WRT160 as a Hardware Ethernet Switch. Any ideas on what is happening? 

you have to do multiple port forwards when you have two routers.   In general, that isn't adviseable.  so if you can give the linksys a static ip off the actiontec and put it into the actiontec's DMZ, and then do your port forwarding in it, that would be easiest and best.

If not, then you want to make sure you have duplicated those port forward entries in both routers.

what ip address do you have on your pc?  is it on the .0.99 or is it on the .1.1 ?? 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

@Chaos554 wrote:

you have to do multiple port forwards when you have two routers.   In general, that isn't adviseable.  so if you can give the linksys a static ip off the actiontec and put it into the actiontec's DMZ, and then do your port forwarding in it, that would be easiest and best.

If not, then you want to make sure you have duplicated those port forward entries in both routers.

what ip address do you have on your pc?  is it on the .0.99 or is it on the .1.1 ?? 

SInce they are running their routers in a Double NAT situation, I suppose changing it to a SIngle NAT by configuring the Linksys as a Switch + AP (Bridge) or by bridging the ActionTec would help a bit more over a DMZ. Bridging the ActionTec is of course, out of the question if they have FiOS TV 🙂

0 Likes
Chaos554

My computer can only access the actiontec router at 192.168.1.1 If you look at the actiontec router's list of connections, you can see it recognizes the other router as a Hardware Ethernet Switch but it doesn't list a gateway address to it. ipconfig/all will only show the actiontec router's gateway. I'm thinking I will have to do a hard reset on the WRT160 if I'm going to be able to access it.

0 Likes