Re: Problems setting up parental controls on 9100EM router
prisaz
Legend

@Hubrisnxs wrote:
The family protection software is free. www.verizon.com/freetools. They aren't trying to get you to but anything for that

Try www.verizon.net/freetools

Don't want to get bashed for a bad url.Smiley Very Happy

We all have had different experiences, and are just trying to help each other.

0 Likes
marietg
Enthusiast - Level 2

@prisaz wrote:

@Hubrisnxs wrote:
The family protection software is free. www.verizon.com/freetools. They aren't trying to get you to but anything for that

Again no one is bashing anyone, but the simple fact remains that setting up parental controls on this router DOES NOT work.  There are numerous posts on this forum about the problem, and after 2 years of this router being in use Verizon still hasn't fixed the problem, and Westell states all support for this product is provided by Verizon.

In every post I have read about this people are suggesting using third party software to resolve the issue, and while I do appreciate the suggestion, it doesn't resolve the problem.  In every case I mention the users aren't interested in work arounds that have to be done on every device connected to the network, we want a solution to the problem.  I know from working for a major hardware vendor the only way they are going to fix it is to produce a firmware upgrade for the router that addresses the issue.

People should not be told they can use the supplied hardware to block/filter internet activity, and then be told to use a filtering software because the hardware doesn't work.  You also shouldn't have to go out and purchase another manufacturers product and bridge the supplied hardware with it to get the results wanted.  I've had that suggested as well, which is what I have had to do to have my filtering done at the hardware level and not have to sit and configure every single device connected to my network.  Like the OP said if you can't resolve the problem, aren't working with the specified device, or don't have the knowledge to fix the problem then stop making suggestions for work arounds.  Give credit where credit is due, obviously the work arounds have already been thought of, and that is not the result that we are wanting to achieve.

prisaz
Legend

@marietg wrote:

@prisaz wrote:

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

Again no one is bashing anyone, but the simple fact remains that setting up parental controls on this router DOES NOT work.  There are numerous posts on this forum about the problem, and after 2 years of this router being in use Verizon still hasn't fixed the problem, and Westell states all support for this product is provided by Verizon.

In every post I have read about this people are suggesting using third party software to resolve the issue, and while I do appreciate the suggestion, it doesn't resolve the problem.  In every case I mention the users aren't interested in work arounds that have to be done on every device connected to the network, we want a solution to the problem.  I know from working for a major hardware vendor the only way they are going to fix it is to produce a firmware upgrade for the router that addresses the issue.

People should not be told they can use the supplied hardware to block/filter internet activity, and then be told to use a filtering software because the hardware doesn't work.  You also shouldn't have to go out and purchase another manufacturers product and bridge the supplied hardware with it to get the results wanted.  I've had that suggested as well, which is what I have had to do to have my filtering done at the hardware level and not have to sit and configure every single device connected to my network.  Like the OP said if you can't resolve the problem, aren't working with the specified device, or don't have the knowledge to fix the problem then stop making suggestions for work arounds.  Give credit where credit is due, obviously the work arounds have already been thought of, and that is not the result that we are wanting to achieve.

Bad bashing joke.

OK understood. It may never be fixed. The router routes. It you want something better, you can always place a device after the Verizon router on the segments for your LAN where you want better protection. I did that. I know you don't want work arounds, but this is a peer to peer community and that is what you will get for help. If you want Verizon to solve an issue, please use the contact us link at the bottom of the page.

Have a nice holiday.