Quantum Gateway Breaking my MOCA at ONT
wrathofkon
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I got a new Quantum Gateway router on Friday.  Tried to install it and it wouldn't connect to the internet.  I called support and they stated that there was an outage and new routers couldnt be activated.  The tech said however, disconnect your current router to release the IP address lease. So at the end of the night, i unplugged coax and went to sleep. 

The next morning I thought i would try the new router, no luck and then back to my old router and no luck. 

I call support and he tries to hit reset like 10 times from his side.  Nothing happens and the WAN green light on the gateway wouldn't light.   He says he cannot do anything and i need a tech who would come on Monday.  which would mean another day without internet.  I am annoyed at this point, because nothing had changed in my house to cause issues with cable. 

I go down to my ONT and the MOCA light is red.  Being frustrated, I finally decide to pull the power from the ONT and put it back in.  Sure enough, MOCA light goes green and voila my old router works.  

I think cool, I will try the new router.  I have the same problem again, a red internet light on front and no green WAN on back.  And now my old router wont work anymore again. So off I got to the garage again, and pull power.  Plug it back in and MOCA is back to green and the old router works. 

Makes me wonder what the new router could possibly do to bust up my MOCA connection at the ONT. 

Any thoughts? At this point, i will wait for the tech on Monday, but I  think this is wacky.  

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Quantum Gateway Breaking my MOCA at ONT
wrathofkon
Enthusiast - Level 2

This morning the tech came.  I described what I had seen on the ONT.  He made a phone call.  The decision was made to try a new quantum gateway which instantly worked.     Total repair time 15 minutes. 

On another note, wow do I alread love this router compared to my old one.  On the 5Ghz band, i am getting better than 50/50 on my AC devices.  its awesome.  

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Speedy13
Enthusiast - Level 3

You did not release the DHCP lease before changing routers.  It is linked to the router MAC address.

You can reconnect the first router and go into it's settings to release the lease and immediately turn it off so it does not reconnect.  Then change routers the new router will pick up a new lease or you can simply turn off the new router for at least a few hours, Sometimes requires overnight, the lease on the old router should expire and the new router should pick up a new lease.  Also you could call Verizon and they can release the lease for you if you tell them you need to break the lease.  You probably had an inexperienced tech.  When they are no help call back later and hope for a different one.  Weekends and nights you usually get offshore support.  Normal weekday business hours you usually get better results with a tech in the US.

0 Likes
viafax
Contributor - Level 1

As speedy stated you have to release the dhcp lease tha the old router had obtained.

Logon onto the router as admin

select the my network tab from top bar

select network connections on left

Select the Broadband connection (Ethernet/coax) connection

Select settings at bottom

halfway down the page there is an item that says DHCP Lease

Select Release

Turn off the router

Now connect the new router an turn it on and it should come up just fine

0 Likes
wrathofkon
Enthusiast - Level 2
So. I just did all that. And the result is the same. As soon as I hook up the quantum router it kills my connection down on the ONT. I switch to the old router and cant see wan coax connection. Reboot the ont and the old router works. I can't imagine just not getting an IP would disable that connection. Why would it only happen with the new router when the old immediately works.
0 Likes
Speedy13
Enthusiast - Level 3

Try a hard reset on the Quantum router powered but nothing else attached (push in the small button with a paper clip or other pointy device and hold about 10 - 20 seconds then release) repeat the procedure to release the lease and try it again.

If that doesn't work you probably have a defective unit.

0 Likes
Speedy13
Enthusiast - Level 3

Also try using a different network cable.  could be slight damage to the contacts causing them to short.  Look at the connector in the router make sure the wire contacts are not bent.

0 Likes
wrathofkon
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am using coax for connection to the ONT and the coax cable I am using works with the old router. That being said, I did try several other cables for no change.    I also did a hard reset at one point as well. I am guessing there is something wrong with the unit or something else.  At this point, the tech is schedule for tomorrow.  let's see what he has to say...  

0 Likes
wrathofkon
Enthusiast - Level 2

This morning the tech came.  I described what I had seen on the ONT.  He made a phone call.  The decision was made to try a new quantum gateway which instantly worked.     Total repair time 15 minutes. 

On another note, wow do I alread love this router compared to my old one.  On the 5Ghz band, i am getting better than 50/50 on my AC devices.  its awesome.  

0 Likes