Quantum router -- short wireless distance
chris601
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello, all!

I'm curious to know anybody else is experiencing short wireless distance with Quantum routers.  I think it's the G1100 or some such model number.

I know that router wireless ranges are subject to a wide variety of variables and that one's mileage will often vary and the specified ranges are ideal and only a comparison guide.  I live in a twin home with basement and two stories which is 40 feet long.   A year ago, when I was still with Comcast, I replaced my aged Linksys router with a much newer model and inadvertantly bought one which was primarily designed for apartments.  I had frequent dropped connections and very poor signal strength upstairs.  I returned it in exchange for a Netgear R6250 which has quite a punch and all of my signal issues disappeared.

I obtained the Quantum router when I switched to FiOS and noticed the same problems that I was experiencing with the apartment-sized router.   Thinking it might be the router, I elected to purchase one for $100 to save the monthly rental cost and there was no difference with the new one.   I disovered that my Netgear R6250 router has a special "access point" mode in the advanced settings so I simply configured it as an access point and connected it to the Quantum router.  I then disabled all of the Quantum's wireless functions and now I'm back to the signal strength that I had with Comcast.  Very strange.   I would have thought, with a 325 foot "laboratory" range, that I'd have done okay at what amounts to 50 feet or so through some walls.

0 Likes
Re: Quantum router -- short wireless distance
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just want to be sure, you're measuring the 2.4Ghz performance of the G1100 and not the 5Ghz radio, correct?

0 Likes
wxguy111

Just received my new and improved G1100 router. And guess what the wifi distances for Iphones has dropped significantly, so you are not alone. I put IPhone 4s next to a brand new IPhone 6plus. With my old router no problem at all with signal.

Now with this great new $99 G1100, I am getting significantly shorter wifi ranges with my phones. While the 4s works, the brand new 6 plus goes on and off. Each time it goes off I have to reenter the password. This is an improvement?????

OK Verizon, get hot and tell us why we are getting shorter wifi ranges with the G1100 vice older router models. Own up!!!

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Never believe advertising.  

Investigation of research and testing of AC type routers would tell you that they suffer from issues with wifi signals passing through walls and floors just as previous routers have.  In the case of the AC signal it appears to be worse however.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hardware is being built by a different company.  All sorts of possibilites on why it has shorter range on the 2.4 band.  Remember the 5 khz band didn't exist on the old router.

0 Likes
chris601
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm guessing the G1100 is just an average, apartment to small house sized router.   I can't imagine 325 feet unless clear shot with nothing in the way and no interference.   I had a dual band router, apartment-sized, which got the same distances as the G1100.

I get, on average, 20 Wifi routers in my neighborhood and most of them have good signal strength so every one of them is fighting it out.

So, my Netgear R6250 with N and AC does the job while the G1100's wireless is turned off.   One notebook began cutting off on occassion so I fixed that with a USB 5 Ghz adapter with AC and turned off the internal one.  Now everthing is happy.

I would be looking for an access point device if I hadn't had the Netgear router around -- which, to my joy, can be set to "AP" mode to make the installation with the G1100 a super-snap.

0 Likes