Quick drop outs in internet service mostly in the evening
mediaseth
Enthusiast - Level 3

For most of the time I've had FIOS, up time has been good. For the fast couple of weeks, I get 30 sec to a minute long complete outages of FIOS internet service. It's usually between 7 and 10pm, sometimes a little later.

This is a problem for me because it interrupts important services and the feed I stream to radioreference.com. I know this happens even when I'm not home, because I get email notifications from that site whenever it's out.

Maybe it helps that though my services is branded as FIOS, it's a 22 unit building with a VDSL box in the basement. (I hate VDSL and wouldn't have even signed onto this service had I know that's what I'd get. But anyway...)

Can anyone help? I work two jobs and it'll literally be almost a month before I can stick around long enough for a tech to come out.

EDIT:  Of course, I'm using a WIRED connection. Just anticipating the question. 🙂

0 Likes
Re: Quick drop outs in internet service mostly in the evening
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mediaseth wrote:

For most of the time I've had FIOS, up time has been good. For the fast couple of weeks, I get 30 sec to a minute long complete outages of FIOS internet service. It's usually between 7 and 10pm, sometimes a little later.

This is a problem for me because it interrupts important services and the feed I stream to radioreference.com. I know this happens even when I'm not home, because I get email notifications from that site whenever it's out.

Maybe it helps that though my services is branded as FIOS, it's a 22 unit building with a VDSL box in the basement. (I hate VDSL and wouldn't have even signed onto this service had I know that's what I'd get. But anyway...)

Can anyone help? I work two jobs and it'll literally be almost a month before I can stick around long enough for a tech to come out.

EDIT:  Of course, I'm using a WIRED connection. Just anticipating the question. 🙂

Are you neighbors by any chance seeing issues with their FiOS VDSL-based service at night? It may be worthwhile to check to see if it's an isolated incident with only your line (perhaps taking on errors at night) or if it affects the entire complex where it could be the MDU ONT acting up and not coping with the load, or it could be even deeper with the PON card the ONT is on. Lots of things to figure out here.

Also, when these outages occur are you able to ping the first hop outside of your network (eg; In a traceroute, you'll see for example 192.168.1.1 and then you'll see a Verizon hop)?

0 Likes
mediaseth
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for your response. I believe I'm the only one in my 22 unit building with FIOS right now! We fought so hard to get it into the building, and orange tubing was snaked up the back stairwell to carry fiber, and then abandoned. Months later, they just put in the VDSL and ignored the orange tubing, which is still doing nothing in the back stairwell. It upset a lot of people who really wanted faster speeds than vdsl can deliver, well, it upset enough people who were very vocal and convinced others not to switch, to be honest. I had to order a service speed higher than the ONT can handle just to get the ONT's max speed, and then ask for a discount, which by the way, I no longer receive. PS: I spent litterally HOURS on the phone following the install process and was escalated to a group in California..some special "team" to help solve various issues. After all that trouble, I figured I'd stick with it for a while.

Anyway, I haven't tried the first hop. I will try that next time the problem occurs. It's just about nightly. Maybe they can just come and push fiber up the tubes they already installed 🙂

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

i think they upped the speed tiers for people with westell 9100 VM modems   so if you have that type of service, you may be able to get faster if you're interested.   

0 Likes
mediaseth
Enthusiast - Level 3

From what I learned in the install / troubleshooting process, sales and tech don't share information very well, and sales will sell anything, even if the equipment in the basement can not handle it. I would want a promise, in writing, before I get a bill for something I can not receive.

I have also been told that the max speed for the equipment in the basement (ONT?) is around 25/5, though sometimes I get better on the upload than that. I've also had techs come out and be totally surprised by the box in the basement and have to reschedule for not having the right gear.

I stayed with FIOS because at least I was getting better than the 2mbps I had for upload speeds before, and it's more consistent.

These drop outs are really making things difficult uploading my wordpress sites in the evenings, though.

Thanks

0 Likes