Replace verizon router
peste19
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have just fios internet at my house no tv and the technician when he came to install it, he installed it using the ethernet and not the coaxial cable. Is it possible for me to replace the router given by verizon and replace it with a wireless n router that i have at home or will i always need the verizon router for internet access

0 Likes
Re: Replace verizon router
FSC2
Contributor - Level 1

You dont have to replace the router. Verizon has to do something called cross connect. Call verizon tech support and tell them you have a cross connect problem. 1800 verizon (i think)

0 Likes
Re: Replace Verizon router
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@peste19 wrote:

I have just fios internet at my house no tv and the technician when he came to install it, he installed it using the Ethernet and not the coaxial cable. Is it possible for me to replace the router given by Verizon and replace it with a wireless n router that I have at home or will I always need the Verizon router for internet access

As long as you have internet only with a cat5 connection, you don't need the VZ router.

Just be sure to release the VZ router's WAN DHCP address before connecting your router.

How do I release my DHCP lease

Re: Replace Verizon router
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@FSC wrote:

You don't have to replace the router. Verizon has to do something called cross connect. Call Verizon tech support and tell them you have a cross connect problem. 1800 Verizon (I think)

This is not a cross-connect problem. 

The OP wants to use his own router and already has a cat5 connection from the ONT.

There is no need to call VZ. 

FSC2
Contributor - Level 1

Also verizon routers do not support wireless N. It doesnt MATTER WHAT THE ROUTER SPECIFICATIONS SAY. I tested it myself.

Go ahead and try it if you dont believe it, but your radio frequency will not go to that band.

PS:  I made I mistake I thought you were changing to MOCA.

0 Likes
MatthewH12
Contributor - Level 1

Mine (A Rev F) supports 802.11n. I'm connected to it right now @ 65Mbps, which is N speeds I believe.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

To address the OP's original question ... if you have ONLY internet service and your connection to the ONT is via ethernet, then you can indeed replace the Verizon router with one of your own choosing.   Note that you will need to either spoof the Mac address of the Verizon router on your router when you replace it -or- unplug the Verizon router and wait a few hours for the DHCP lease on the WAN address to expire before your new router will be able to get an address (this is a one time deal at the time you make the initial switch).

Note that if you ever get TV service, you will need to re-install the Verizon router since the STB's utilize the Coax network to interface with the router (via MoCA) to gain access to the Internet (so they can update their guide data, etc.) and Verizon programs the router to allow things like remote DVR service, home agent, etc. to function properly.

don-peters

That posting was from about 13 years ago. Is the information given still relevant, like can I use the router from another manufacturer at this point in time?

Also, I suspect that a Verizon data update is triggering a problem with my sending of emails. Is there any way, like a log file, that I can determine exactly at what time these updates are sent to my router/TV?

0 Likes