Router Connection
Orioles18

Is it possible to connect the wireless router to an active wall jack using a splitter?  I was trying to connect a STB and the router in the same room and I didn't know if I could use a splitter to use the same active wall jack for both.

Basically I want to do this:

(coax)                  (ethernet)

(coax)                             -------------router--------------------PC

wall--------------2-way splitter

-------------STB----------------------TV

(coax)                  (coax)

Message Edited by Orioles18 on 05-21-2009 10:16 AM
0 Likes
Re: Router Connection
spacedebris
Master - Level 2
That will work, IF you use a bi-directional splitter.  the standard cheap splitters that you get at radioshack will be uni-directional splitters. This would block two way communication. If you use a bi-directional splitter you should have no issue.
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@spacedebrismark wrote:
That will work, IF you use a bi-directional splitter.  the standard cheap splitters that you get at radioshack will be uni-directional splitters. This would block two way communication. If you use a bi-directional splitter you should have no issue.

So the remaining question is, where do you get such a splitter? I suggest you stop a Verizon truck if you see one and ask if they will let you have one (free of course). Or, depending on where you live, there might be a Verizon store nearby that you could get one from, I did get one free from the Verizon store in Southlake, TX, other Verizon stores might also have them. The splitter also needs to pass a significant frequency range, not all splitters out there do, I think the required range is from 5 MHz to 1000 MHz or something close to that.

If none of the above works, I suggest you try some of the online electronic stores, many should have them. Just make sure they cover the entire frequency range and that they are bi-directional as spacedebrismark said.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend
Radio Shack does have bi-directional splitters. Just make sure you don't get the cheap splitter there, and be sure it will handle the frequency. They have two way and four way splitters that will do the job fine. But they also have cheap ones that will not work.
0 Likes