Router Dropping Out
zeebrugge

I've had my Verizon Router for a long time (5 years?).  I've recently started experiencing my connection dropping out every so often that requires me to reboot the router to reestablish the connection.  It's very irritating.  I would like to know if anyone else has had this experience?  I'm wondering if Verizon is doing this - throttling my internet, so to speak - or, could I possibly have a router that is starting to crap out.  I know both could be the case, but just wondering if others have experience with this.  Router is a model MI424WR.  Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Router Dropping Out
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

This does sound like a router issue. Do you have someone that could loan you a router, or do you have a spare laying aroud? I would first try that.

Also, are there any error lights on the router? 

Quick question: do you have TV service? If not I strongly reccomend using your own router instead of the actiontec routers (I was having tons of disconnect issues as well before I switched to my own router). 

It is also possible to use your own router with TV service, but that process is a little more complicated. 

0 Likes
donhare
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello, 

We have also noticed this happening to our service. It seems to have started when we renewed our contract with Verizon in December of 2014. Our old router worked great for over 7 years but with our new contract we were issued a newer router. That's when the troubles beagn. So...after working on the problem for months with Verizon I was told to try the new Gateway Router. It didn't help. We are still suffering from dropped connections and have just resigend ourselves to living with the sporadic service. We will not renew our contract with Verizon in 2016.

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello donhare,

As I stated above, do you have any error lights on the router itself whenever this happens?

Also, do you have TV service as well or just internet? Have you tried using a different router instead of the new one that is dropping connections?

0 Likes