Router changes from Ethernet to Coax, Drops Internet Connection
johnsdad

My Verizon FIOS router started changing unexpectedly from ethernet to coax, dropping our internet connection, requiring frequent (sometimes three times a day) reboots of the router.  The ONT was changed out a few weeks back, and last week, the router and all outside hardware other than the router was changed.  In addition, this is the third router from Verizon.

Something upstream is changing the router connection from ethernet to coax.  My home is wired for ethernet, so switching to coax isn't easy.

Suggestions?  I think it has to be a setting at the server, not local and certainly not on the network in my home.

Last service was Thursday, December 11, 2014, by tech Randy V {edited for privacy}.

Help!  Next step is Comcast.

0 Likes
Re: Router changes from Ethernet to Coax, Drops Internet Connection
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Hello there, johnsdad!

When you say it's "switching from ethernet to coax", what indication do you have that this is happening?  Are you seeing this within the router dashboard?  Are the lights shifting on the router?  Please let me know what you're seeing so we can get started on resolving the issue.  Have a great day!

Thank you,

~Eva

0 Likes
Re: Router changes from Ethernet to Coax, Drops Internet Connection
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

I also am intrigued to know what makes you think it is changing from ethernet to moca as that really requires a software change and reboot of the ont.

Even if id did do that, it should make no difference as you say you are servicing the house via ethernet so you must have one or more ethernet lan ports on the router connected to your own switches and devices so even with a moca connection to the router those ethernet lan ports will still be working 

0 Likes