[SOLVED] Verizon Router wont recognize computer or assign correct IP address
El_Gallardo
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello I have a very frustrating issue that I cant seem to figure out.  This is what happened from the beginning: I have a PC that has both mac osx and windows 7 (on seperate hard drives). Originally my Mac installing was working perfectly no network issues what so ever. I then installed windows 7 on a seperate hard drive but could not get the network to connect correctly. I tried resting everything through the command prompt, updated to the latest drivers for the onboard ethernet through the supplied setup programs and through device manager but to no avail. I tested the wire with my laptop to ensure that the wire was working and it was.  

At this point I thought it was a windows 7 issue and was posting on Win7 forums but nobody could figure it out, then today i was on my Mac OS X hard drive surfing the web happily when all of a sudden the internet dropped off. I tried everything but could not reconnect. This is when I started suspecting the router. I went into the router and saw that the MAC address of the onboard ethernet (which i found in BIOS) had been assigned an IP address but it was showing that the connection was not active.  I reset the router multiple times, and although all the other computers work fine this one computer is not seen by the router anymore. The router does not assign an IP address at all so im wondering if the router is broken. I have been trying to fix this for a couple days but I really dont know what to do anymore. This is a brand new computer...the last thing I can think of is the onboard ethernet has failed (which is possible since the port used to show blinking LED lights when it was connected to the internet but not anymore) BUT the motherboard is equipped with a utility to check the connection and it says there is a wire present and there are no issues with the wire. I really think its the router...I apologize for the long message but I wanted to give as much info as possible. Any suggestions? I greatly appreciate any infoformation.

-Dan

2/18/11 Edit:

After some more searching it turns out that the motherboard was the culprit.  It seems as though somehow the motherboard had messed up the ethernet port and even though I had flashed the motherboard it made no difference. The solution was simple: clear CMOS.  After that everything worked perfectly.  According to the post I read this is common with gigabyte boards, I have a X58-UD3R VER2 for future reference. Hopefully this helps somebody.

Re: [SOLVED] Verizon Router wont recognize computer or assign correct IP address
Karl_VZ
Contributor - Level 1

Hey Dan, it sounds like you had quite an ordeal there.  I’m glad you were able to figure out a solution to your problems and thanks very much for updating your post with what worked for you.  I’m sure this information will come in handy at some point.

Thanks again!

0 Likes