Setting Up Netgear Wireless Router w/Fios Actiontec
btsullivan

I bought a Netgear N600 wireless router.

I plugged the CAT-5 cable into one of the LAN slots on Verizon's Actiontec modem/router.

The good news? I am seeing a wireless signal from the netgear device

The bad news?   The Actiontech is still broadcasting a wireless signal AND my internet range/speeds are the same as before.  

I would like to know how to set up the Netgear router as my ONLY wireless router.   I know i have to 'go into' the Actiontech device and turn off wireless ... but I have NO idea how to do that.   I am using a Mac and am unable to find any Verizon software that would allow me to access this.

Any and all help on this is appreciated.

Brian

0 Likes
Re: Setting Up Netgear Wireless Router w/Fios Actiontec
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@btsullivan wrote:

I plugged the CAT-5 cable into one of the LAN slots on Verizon's Actiontec modem/router.

The bad news?   The Actiontech is still broadcasting a wireless signal AND my internet range/speeds are the same as before.  

I would like to know how to set up the Netgear router as my ONLY wireless router.   I know i have to 'go into' the Actiontech device and turn off wireless ... but I have NO idea how to do that.   I am using a Mac and am unable to find any Verizon software that would allow me to access this.

Brian

to get into the actiontec you have to do it through the web, so open a browser.   put in 192.168.1.1   

user name is admin

password is your serial number (usually it's caps I think for the letters)  

find your serial number on your service tag.   its by the bar code.

then once your in go to wireless at the top.    and then basic security settings on the left.

when you're in the basic you'll see "wireless"   on/off.   just hit off, and hit apply/save at the bottom.  

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@btsullivan wrote:

Brian

There is no issue with having both routers broadcasting wireless signals, I have 3 routers broadcasting here.  You just need to make sure that you are connecting to the netgear one.

Unless you had a poor wireless-g signal it's unlikely that switching from wireless-g to wirelss-n will make any difference to your internet access speed as both wireless signals will already exceed your actual fios speed.

btsullivan

Thank you for both the replies.

I currently have both wireless signals running (the new Netgear and the old FiOS Actiontec)...

Here is my issue: I use AppleTV at home and with the new version (all streaming video) I have noticed how slow the wireless G network in my home is.

I purchased the wireless N router in the hope of speeding up my wireless signal as well as increasing my wireless range.

Having both wireless signals isn't a bad thing .. but it doesnt accomplish my goal of speeding up the network.

So any advice on how to 1) speed up the wireless signal and 2) increase the range of my network is very much appreciated.

Brian

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@btsullivan wrote:

So any advice on how to 1) speed up the wireless signal and 2) increase the range of my network is very much appreciated.

Brian

1)  Disable the wireless-G on the Actiontec.  Make sure the wireless-N on the Netgear is assigned a 40Mhz channel in the 5Ghz band.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@btsullivan wrote:

Thank you for both the replies.

I currently have both wireless signals running (the new Netgear and the old FiOS Actiontec)...

Here is my issue: I use AppleTV at home and with the new version (all streaming video) I have noticed how slow the wireless G network in my home is.

I purchased the wireless N router in the hope of speeding up my wireless signal as well as increasing my wireless range.

Having both wireless signals isn't a bad thing .. but it doesnt accomplish my goal of speeding up the network.

Brian

Make sure that the apple TV is connecting to the wireless-n ssid.

As I said before it may still not speed up your internet access as both routers wireless capabilities probably exceed the fios download speed.  Wireless-n will extend your wireless range.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

If you want to use both routers make sure they are set to use a different channel. Make sure they don't overlap.