Slow FiOS internet speeds
xanthon2002

So about 4-5 days ago, I called Verizon Customer service to talk to them about my Internet speeds dropping drastically after about 5. I currently run 75/35 quantum. However, on multiple speedtest sites the most I can get is 50 tops and the further I get away from upstate New York area it just drops off the charts, down to 10-12 to lower than that. I was talking to the rep and he, for the most part, did a hard reboot and change some settings on their end for the router. He goes, i want you to test the connection on our site. Ok, I did. I run it and I get 83/40.. fine.. I run it again.. 83/40... wait a min.. run it again.. 83/40.. 10 minutes later while still on the phone.. 83/40.. interesting that it never fluctuates. So while on the phone I run a speed test from multiple sites, including speedtest.net. I test binghamton, ny. I get 45/12. I run it again. 48/14. I test syracuse, ny, 12/3... i test it again 4/8... i test hudson, ny 59/23... Interesting how my ping changes even when i run it from the same location multiple times and it changes but on the Verizon site it does not. I ask him about that. He goes, I can't test other sites. I can only tell you to use Verizon. Ha.

Ok, So I tell him, "My friend playing the same game I am, 15 minutes away, pinging from the same server with 10mbs Time Warner internet has a 55 ping. I have 75mbs/35mbs internet and get a 65 ping. Care to explain how my friend running Time Warner can  achieve a lower ping everytime however has 65mbs internet lower than me. I want, no wait, I need an explaination."

He goes, "Maybe he has better routing. Ping is based on how it is routed." 

I go, "So, basically you are telling me that Time Warner's coaxial internet is  faster than FiOS fiber optic because he has better routing? If that is the case, A) how can you justify charging a more expensive price for the same internet speeds that your competition can offer for significantly less and less download/upload speeds and B) If he has better routing, than shouldn't you look at possible routing problems for my router?"

Him, "Your router is fine sir. Your test to our site says that your getting what you are paying for."

Me, "That is the thing. I am not getting what I am paying for. If my friend is getting a lower ping to servers than I am with a slower internet that is unacceptable for fiber optics."

Him, "Like I said, if the routing is better; your ping will be better."

Me, "So, your saying that your routing sucks? In which case your internet sucks?

Him, "No, I am saying that he most likely has better routing."

Me, "You just failed that arguement and you should probably be fired. You don't tell your customers that your competition has better internet for cheaper."

Him, "is there anything else I can help you with today?"

Me, "Yeah, fix the problem I am calling about because you are not."

Him, "I fixed what I could. Your router is working fine and your connection is fine."

Me, "Your an idiot."

Fast forwarding to yesterday.. Internet speeds dropping off significantly to a point where Netflix has to buffer. Netlfix has never had to buffer even when I used to have Time Warner. Never. I also had an issue with the On-Demand features trying to access a show. 

So Verizon, how about you tell your customers what actually is happening with your internet. If they have a problem, It should be fixed not band-aided. 

FYI, to anyone that reads this. According to Verizon Customer Service, TIme Warner Cable 10mbs download speed has better routing than 75mbs/35mbs upload. 

0 Likes
Re: Slow FiOS internet speeds
Hubrisnxs
Legend

speedtest.net does not have the updated OOKLA client to handle quantum speeds, so people really shouldn't be testing there.  Additionally if you look at the hosts, ask yourself honestly "have I ever even heard of these companies"   many of them no.

A ? mark appears where you wonder do they even have bandwidth to support a download like you have?

Also the Verizon speedtest site records better consistent speeds because it is an isolation test and a speedtest.  its the most accurate reflection of the verizon service because it keeps all routing on it's network.  That's why you get the better results there, PLUS it paid for the updated ookla client that speedtest.net hasn't paid for yet. 

OOKLA is the speed test company that does the measurements for both companies. 

Btw are you on wireless when you get those results, or hardwired? 

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

speedtest.net does not have the updated OOKLA client to handle quantum speeds, so people really shouldn't be testing there.  ,,,

Actually sppedtest.net is owned by OOKLA.  But the host testing sites aren't.  Some seem to give good results and may have the latest OOKLA client.

0 Likes
AsusMiller
Enthusiast - Level 2

I will be following this topic.  I am having similar issues, with my download speeds being what they should, but my upload speed being 1 Mbps on a constant basis.  Tech guy just left after replacing everything he could at my house.  He is bumping it up to Tech 2.  I will report back if they are able to fix it.  Here is my topic if you care to follow it as well.  I am updating it constantly, as I am tired of this as well.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Internet-issue-Paying-for-35-35-getting-40-1-Possible-Dup...

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@tns wrote:

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

speedtest.net does not have the updated OOKLA client to handle quantum speeds, so people really shouldn't be testing there.  ,,,

Actually sppedtest.net is owned by OOKLA.  But the host testing sites aren't.  Some seem to give good results and may have the latest OOKLA client.

This was posted about the OOKLA site by a senior VZ tech.

The ookla client that speedtest.net uses cannot handle the high upload speeds on FiOS. Verizon is using a newer ookla client that can correctly measure the high uploads on the new Quantum tiers. ookla knows they need to get this newer client out to the speedtest.net hosting providers.....

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Since we haven't heard back from you or have received a form submission as requested in your private support case, it appears assistance is no longer required. If you need any future help with your Verizon service, please make a post here on the forums so we can assist.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'd hate to say it but when it comes to latency the Verizon rep you spoke to was correct. Each provider routes differently based on who they peer with and where they send their traffic to. Verizon in a lot of cases sends their traffic to key POPs such as New York City, Ashburn, Chicago, Los Ageles, Dallas, etc. Naturally this is where a lot of the key bandwidth suppliers tend to be as well and it's quite cost effective per the Gigabit to deliver bandwidth that way. Now unless you're a CDN, latency tends to follow the general basis of how the Internet is built.

Local routing is something Verizon does tend to lack unless you're in an area with a key POP and there are some peers. There are plenty of folks hitting 2-5ms pings to servers where Time Warner for example can't touch them. So yes, it may be possible that Time Warner for that particular server has a better route.

For a better example, I work at a datacenter where we are our own ISP and run our own global network. The latency you get on the network to just about any datacenter destroys what you would get on Verizon or Time Warner. Verizon Business included. From Western New York, we can get a ping of 7ms to New York City, and ping 60-70ms to Los Angeles. Verizon and Time Warner, both of whom are in this area can't even touch that unless they stop sending all of their traffic towards New York City first, which due to the way the fiber runs adds at least 7ms as it is. Once you're through aggregate points you're looking at roughly 10-14ms of latency for a 300 mile route. Also, while we get awesome latenct and throughput to just about any part of the Internet, everything ultimately comes down to how each provider peers with us or if to reach them, we have to dump traffic to one of our providers that connects up to the provider requesting traffic.

Keep in mind too link and router balancing. Many providers will load balance their equipment using a "simple" metric-based round robin load balancer. For example, while the route may be the same between your connection and the end server as far as where it goes, your connection at one point may go through a specific set of routers, ports, and circuits and upon the next connection, it could load balance to another router, or it could go down a different circuit and ultimately another port. This happens regardless of who the provider is. Everyone does this and those that don't see more congestion if they don't groom the traffic, but instead let a few users monopolize the circuit.

Remember the golden rule. Speed != Latency, but Latency != always a function of speed, but they both play a key part into what you call speed. Capacity is one thing, but Latency is another.

I can't explain the speed issues too much without seeing some results from some reliable speed test servers (Java-based NDT tests or HTTP tests) and some traceroutes, so if you can get that to us that would be great.

Johnny_Utah
Enthusiast - Level 3

FYI there are a number of people with FIOS who are having problems at "peak" times.

I have made posts in 3 different threads about this.  There are also a number of discussions going on about this at broadband reports.  There is a MAJOR problem.

For the last two week around 7-8pm through 11pm my speeds drop from 75/35 to 12/35.  UPLOAD is never affected.  I experience huge latency issues and packet loss.  I have called 5 times and Verizon tells me that have not heard any other reports of this....well that is horse manuer.  They are LYING.  Btw, I live in Long Beach, CA.  All times are PST>

I am at the point I am ready to change providers.  Tonight like clockwork at 8:15pm my speed was cut by 1/3 and I cannot do much of anything.

0 Likes
gmjhrains
Enthusiast - Level 1

Did you change out the router to the new G-3 N series router Verizon recommends, btu doesn't require.  Although, you have to purchase the router for 80 bucks, unless they offer the 150/60 dlul in your area, then they provide you with the new router.  I had the same trouble for a week and changed out the router and have no problems now!   Good luck

GTR

KSal1

I called tech support tonight to talk about extremely slow connection speeds.  This has been a distinct problem for the past three weeks, but the techie blamed it on the fact that my computer is not in "line of sight" with the router.  It wasn't three weeks ago, either, and it worked fine then.  And using the Verizon speed test, I had D/U numbers last night of 21/26, 18/16 this morning (Saturday), and 8/1.3 this evening!  Yes I have the privilege of paying an extra $45 per month so-called Quantum 50/25 service.

His bottom line suggestion was that I buy an extender.  I think a better answer will be that I call the local govt. consumer affairs office on Monday.

And he used speedtest.net, by the way.  He said that he didn't trust Verizon's tester...

K

0 Likes