Slow download speed. help!!!
bongdoli
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is anybody experiencing download speed problem recently?

I have download speed problem since 2/14/2011 so I ran speed test from speedtest.net.

The results I got was very weird.

Dallas, TX Server (2.33 mb/s down / 4.94 mb/s upload)

Austin, TX server (15.46 mb/s down / 5.22 mb/s upload)

Los Angeles, CA (1.07 mb/s down / 5.16 mb/s upload)

New York, NY (0.84 mb/s down / 4.75 mb/s upload)

Cirpus Christi, TX (15.40 mb/s down / 5.02 mb/s upload)

Seoul, Korea (0.41 mb/s down / 2.67 mb/s upload)

I talked with FIOS tech support and he was saying it is normal.  But to me it is big problem because I mostly connect to South Korea server to play games and download dramas.  It was working perfectly couple years except this week.

Re: Slow download speed. help!!!
Jowls1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Have same problem, big time slowdown which started about same time as yours. I have the 25/25 service and since early this week my speed has been fluxing wildly and no where near what i'm paying for. DL is anywhere from .85 to 2.90 and UL ranges 8.90 to 24.20.

Tech came out yesterday (17 Feb) to look into the problem and verified that yes, there is a problem with my service, and it is not  onsite equipment related. In fact, he told that he has had other calls for same problem in my area and these slowdowns are pointing to a network problem. Other than telling me that i would be contacted in 24 to 36 hrs to check if problem has been fixed, nothing, no email confirming problem exists, estimated fix time, or anything else.

I'm an old gamer, and these speeds have a negative impact on  online gaming. So, guess i'll find something else to do for the next  day or so

and hope they repair their network in a timely manner.

bongdoli
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did furthur test with other speed measure website.

Here's result.

speedmatters.org

1024 kbps down / 5064 kbps upload

reviews.cnet.com

832 kbps down

www.bandwidthplace.com

1.01 mbps down /5.05 mbps upload

Obiviously there's download speed problem.  Don't know why FIOS tech support is saying it is normal.

BTW which area do you live in?   I live in Garland, Texas.  (Dallas County)

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@bongdoli wrote:

Is anybody experiencing download speed problem recently?

I have download speed problem since 2/14/2011 so I ran speed test from speedtest.net.

The results I got was very weird.

Dallas, TX Server (2.33 mb/s down / 4.94 mb/s upload)

Austin, TX server (15.46 mb/s down / 5.22 mb/s upload)

Los Angeles, CA (1.07 mb/s down / 5.16 mb/s upload)

New York, NY (0.84 mb/s down / 4.75 mb/s upload)

Cirpus Christi, TX (15.40 mb/s down / 5.02 mb/s upload)

Seoul, Korea (0.41 mb/s down / 2.67 mb/s upload)

I talked with FIOS tech support and he was saying it is normal.  But to me it is big problem because I mostly connect to South Korea server to play games and download dramas.  It was working perfectly couple years except this week.

Depending on where you are, speeds to different parts of the country (or world) will vary wildly. This is normal and most of it has to do with the traffic on the internet, beyond anyones control.  When you do the test you want to check the servers in your area. This will tell you what your connection does. If your local connections are OK, then slowdowns to other areas are traffic congestions or the limits of the networks in those areas.  Looks like you may be in Texas since Corpus Christi and Austin look ok depending on what your speeds are supposed to be. Now yours do look slow nation wide. There does look like an issue but I just wanted to point out that some speed fluctuations are normal. Here is my example, and these are perfectly normal.

I'm in S. CA

Los Angeles = 33.25 / 24.41

Dallas = 19.92 / 9.36

New York, NY = 26.67 / 9.93

Barcelona, Spain = 5.26 / 2.86

Seoul, Korea  = 4.40 / 1.07

Toyko, Japan = 5.68 / 2.99

You may want to try calling tech support and have them reboot your ONT (after you reset your router). I've found in the past that rebooting the ONT helps when having wierd speed issues.

Jowls1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Garland also. I used speedtest.net and the verizon speedtest site to check my speeds. Both sites where about the same. The tech that came out yesterday brought a laptop to check out my system and he got the same results, very slow download speed and widely fluctuating upload speeds. This problem is also effecting my VOD service, getting lag(?) when watching.

edit: entire system has been reset by tech support with no change in speeds after reset.

this mornings test to locale server: DL - 1.45

UL - 5.38

using the local speedtest.net site or the verizon speedtest results are the same, consistantly low download speeds and upload speeds varying as much as ~20Mbps.

bongdoli
Enthusiast - Level 2

Your test shows that download speed is always greater than upload, which is normal.  My test shows upload speed is consistent but download speed flucuating severely.  The reason that I'm saying weird is download speed is much slower that upload speed in most tests.

gp11

Yes. In Garland seeing wild flucutations (>30x) in download speeds recently

depending on the server location. Did not see this in Jan.  

From Speedtest.net:

Date        Download      Upload           Server                   Distance 
2/19/2011   43.04 Mb/s   27.10 Mb/s   Dallas, TX              < 50 mi
2/19/2011    1.26 Mb/s     3.76 Mb/s     Chula Vista, CA   ~ 1200 mi

0 Likes
jagrock1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I live in the Garland area.  Noticed some speed issues with Netflix and Vudu streaming.  Haven't done any speed tests yet though.

I'll do some later and post them.

0 Likes
dvernissi
Enthusiast - Level 2

also in the garland area, having speed problems, the packet loss is so high I can't even watch youtube anymore..

I'm having 30% loss while pinging google! it's insane!

does anyone have ANY idea of what's going on? and if this is ever getting resolved? It's been like this for at least a week now.

Verizon support doesn't know anything about it and all they do is to ask you to reboot anything you have around

0 Likes
Jowls1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Called verizon tech support yesterday afternoon to get update on speed issues that are being experienced in the area (Garland, Tx). Made it to the 3rd recorded message. That message stated that there would TV/internet outages while maintenance was being done on the system in my area and completion time would be around 3:30 am. Yay i thought.

Till i checked speeds again this morning, same, no joy, although the upload speed looked to be back to normal, download speed still fubar. Here's the results speedtest.net [URL=[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/1165742998.png[/IMG][/URL

Hopefully it"ll be fixed soon.

Your download
speed is

0.99 Mbps     This is from verizon fios speed test. Upload speed was 24.15Mbps.

0 Likes