Slow/fluctuating download speeds and use of non-Actiontec router
PaulTheBuilder
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi All,

First post here. In the last month or so, I've been getting wildly fluctuating download speeds. Speedtest.net will show from 1MB/s to 20MB/s download speeds (depending on the server). Websites tend to load slowly and downloads can go slow as well (a download from Adobe.com was like 30kb/s). I have 15 (or 20, not sure)/5 service. Very frustrating...

I don't use Verizon's Actiontec router, instead I use a DLink DGL-4100 because I want the Gigabit Ethernet ports (my Actiontec is only 100mbs). This has been fine for three+ years.

I had a tech over today and he said a new update to the ONTs meant that non-Verizon routers might be affected and would cause speed issues. I find that hard to beleive as the speed issues seem related to where the servers are located. Might be my imagination.

Anyone have any thoughts on using your own router rather than Verizon's and if that would cause any issues? Anyone else been haveing speed issues in New Jersey/Northeast?

Thanks,

Paul

Re: Slow/fluctuating download speeds and use of non-Actiontec router
GlobalTrace
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm in Northern Virginia and internet speeds have slowed considerably!  I'm lucky to get 7Mbps, regardless of server.

Re: Slow/fluctuating download speeds and use of non-Actiontec router
fttpline
Enthusiast - Level 3

im having the same problem here in northeast NJ.  Past 3 weeks was set a new router work for a couple of days but now back to 1/8 on 35/35. Was on the phone last night for 4 hrs to have no internet at the end and told it was goin to take 24to48 hrs to fix.  The funny thing is this happens every few months then Verizon sends out a tech they replace ont and router. I guess ill be waiting the next couple of days just for them to tell me I need a roleout....