Terrible internet quality
kibburs

So first and for most i play alot of online games on my pc, within the last 3 days i havent been able to stay connected to a game for longer then 5 minutes without my internet timing out. I also notice then when loading webpages or streaming videos, the connection basically freezes and then takes 20-30 secs to catch back up, timing out the web page. I've had Fios for like 2 months and this is extremely aggrivating. Talked to support they said it was most likely a problem with my router, they sent me a new one and the problem consisted. The router type is a MI424-WR type and I've both soft reset and hard reset the old and the new router.

0 Likes
Re: Terrible internet quality
wkearney991
Enthusiast - Level 2
There really seems to be an upstream congestion problem with FIOS lately. Something up inside their connections out to the rest of the internet is really screwed up.
0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Well if you've replaced the router, then you need to look at the computer side (not likely but possible) and the Verizon network side.

The first thing I'd do is run speedtests to get an idea of what kind of speeds you are getting.

http://my.verizon.com/micro/speedtest/broadband/

www.speedtest.net

www.speakeasy.net/speedtest

try running the test at multiple locations just for a baseline. 

After that try running a tracert to a couple of websites. This can help isolate where the problem lies. Once that is determined we will be better able to point you in the right direction.

One other thing that has helped me in the past. Reboot your ONT. Find your Battery back-up unit. Open it and disconnect the battery, then unplug the ont for about a minute. Plug it back in and wait for it to boot back up. Then reconnect the battery. The two times I had internet issues that were not corrected by rebooting the router, this took care of it.

0 Likes
kibburs

I just tried that still having terrible ping on games, i normally sit at a 90ms currently between 500-1000+ms, I've talked to a couple friends who live in the same area code as me and they are having the same problem with their Fios, this is absolutey terrible service though. I live in 07724, just as a heads up for other people.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

post your traceroute results so we can see where the choke is at.

0 Likes