Re: Trouble Connecting to Shared Network Drive
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@viafax999 wrote:
Are you sure it can be done.  OP's answer from Verizon appears to say it will mess up the STBs.  Not sure I understand why unless they have hard coded something in the firmware to expect the subnet to be 192.168.1

Yes, I know it works, at least for VOD, guide data and widgets.  Those are all well behaved DHCP clients.

I've run with a 192.168.3.x subnet and also with a 172.16.x.y subnet with no problems.

I won't swear that non-standard subnets will work with Remote DVR and on-screen caller-id given how flaky those implementations are (I don't use either of those features).

I've heard unconfirmed reports that the scripts referred to are troubleshooting scripts.

Something else to keep in mind is that VZ can do a hard reset of the router remotely, which will restore the router to the default 192.168.1.x subnet.  I've seen this occur when new firmware has been rolled out.  Also doing a hard reset of the router is usually the #2 troubleshooting step when you call the FSC with a problem.

Bottom line, if you're going to run a non-standard subnet, you should understand the support implications of doing so.

0 Likes
judgemantx

Finally got time to tinker with the router settngs and it worked. Changed the 3rd number from .1 to .2. Unplugged all STB and let them re-boot. No issues in having them download programming guides and I can now connect to shared drive with no problem.

Thank you so much fro all of your help.

judgemantx

0 Likes
Aligwashington
Enthusiast - Level 1

seems like your shared drive is maped via ip address rather then using  name server your IT department should fix this as at home you can change the dhcp address range yourself what will you do if you are in a hotel or some other place where you can't change it.
Tell your IT they need to add WINS info to the VPN server which they might already have and then use names insted of ip to share the drive.

I know its an old post and you patch fix it just posting this for public info.

Thanks.