Two problems: MI42WR Router and Windows 8.1; Verizon staff
RebDovid1

Few things are more frustrating than being thanked for "patiently waiting" when there's no alternative to waiting, hold times approach or exceed 30 minuts, and Verizon staff is either unfriendly or of questionable competence, or both. A billing supervisor, {edited for privacy} epitomizes this.

This morning and early afternoon, I've spoken directly with two different people in technical support, a first-line billing agent, and her supervisor, and indirectly (via the second technical support person) with another first-line billing agent.

Here's my situation.

Recently, I upgraded my system from MS Windows XP Pro to 8.1. Shortly thereafter, my computer begain experiencing internet connectivity problems. Specifically, the ethernet connection between the router and the computer stopped working reliably; the external Linksys WUSB300N adapter, which I'd been using only to communicate with a wireless-capable printer, would lose the connection after a period of time and have to be reset.

Before calling Verizon technical support this morning, I tried several different ethernet cables. All but one did nothing; one produced some sort of message about a limited connection.

The first technical support person had me do a "loop test," which involved plugging both ends of a cable into the router. With the first cable that worked, that is, lit two LAN Ethernet lights, he had me connect one end to the computer. Success. Except that, within minutes of my thanking him and hanging up, the ethernet connection was lost. Neither that cable nor the five other ethernet cables I tried passed the loop test.

I called technical support a second time. After trying the loop test again without success, a very friendly woman arranged to drop ship me a refurbished replacement router. Apparently, I have a version 1; she's sending me a version 3. BUT, she said, she didn't think it would work because the router uses a WEP security key and Windows 8.1 uses something different. And, Verizon will not provide a compatible router unless I pay $90 or more.

Saying that I thought Verizon ought to provide a router that works with the current Microsoft operating system, I asked her to arrange a three-way conversation with someone in billing, whom she said might have authority to waive the charge. After some additional hold-time, the technician reported back that the billing agent confirmed the additional charge and would not waive it. I asked the technician to arrange a three-way conversation so we could speak with a supervisor with the technician available to address any technical issues. Unfortunately, the billing agent had disconnected.

At this point, perhaps foolishly, I allowed the technician to transfer me to billing without her staying on the line. The first-line billing agent blithely told me there was no compatibility issue, said that Verizion would not provide a new router for free, and explained that it already had given me a router for free. After I established that, even if she wanted to, she did not have the authority to waive any additional charge, I asked to speak with a supervisor.

After another hold, Jessica {edited for privacy} got on the line. Aggressively, including interrupting me before I could explain my conversation with the second technician, Jessica said again there's no compatibility or OS issue. She may very well be right. All I know is what the Verizon technician told me. She also said Verizon is not responsible for my decision to upgrade my computer system. Well enough, but, I asked her, suppose someone this week buys a new Windows 8.1 computer at Best Buy. Here, she interrupted to repeat that Verizon is not responsible for a decision to upgrade a computer system. I asked her to please not interrupt. She said she knw what I was going to say. Actually, I said, my question involved someone who was not a Verizon customer. If that person called and said, I've just bought a new computer system with Windows 8.1, I want FIOS, would you tell them Verizon was going to charge for a compatible router? No, she said, because there's no compatibility issue.

At that point, I reminded her that there seemed to be a conflict on the compatibility issue between her, in billing, and the technician. Not wanting to get the run around, with each department blaming the other, I asked her to arrange a three-way conversation with a technician. She refused. I asked her to arrange for me to talk again with a technician without having to be on hold again. She refused..

Frankly, I was surprised at being told that there's a compatibility issue. Perhaps the technician gave me incorrect information. In that case, the refurbished router should work, and I'll just have wasted a couple of hours. If not, perhaps someone here can offer a work-around. If not, as I told the billing supervisor, if Comcast will provide me with a working solution at no additional cost, I just may be telling Verizon I want to terminate early without any penalty.

0 Likes
Re: Two problems: MI42WR Router and Windows 8.1; Verizon staff
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi RebDovid,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Dye to no response , we closed you private support case. Feel free to make a new post anytime you need our help. Glad we were able to clear up the confusion regarding your FiOS router and your new operating system.

- Jose_VZ

0 Likes
KFM1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had a similar issue when I called yesterday, only I wish I had escalated it as you did.  Ironically, I just got a new windows 8 laptop, and I have encountered all sorts of problems from HTML errors to websites thinking I am running Mozilla.  I have not had any issues with my router, which is the same model as yours.  Mine is set for WPA, not WEP, if that makes a difference.

No, I actually called them because the router is on one side of the house and my son's new WiiU, on th eopposite side of the house, does not get a good wireless signal and so cannot stream anything.  Our house is large but not a mansion and I think it makes perfect sense that verizon should have to make our connectivity work.  I was told I could do one of two things:  Pay out of pocket, either through version or on my own, for a second router to create a second network in our rec room, or pay Verizon $105 to receive a new, more powerful router.  Really?  Why should I have to pay extra for them to provide us with connectivity that they promise when they install?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Based on the description of your problem, this seems to be a computer issue rather than a problem Verizon needs to resolve.

If I am understanding this right, the wireless adapter in your computer is ONLY being used to make a wireless ad-hoc connection to a Wireless printer, and is not being used otherwise to connect to the router? The printer in addition to this does not have a wired or wireless connection back to your router, correct? Also, your Wireless settings do not have your Wi-Fi router added in as a preferred network, correct?

If this is the case, start off by ensuring all of your system drivers are updated and are actually installed. If your machine oringally shipped with Windows XP or has a "Designed for Windows XP" sticker on it, this is something to consider since the drivers that usually ship with Windows are basic enough to get the system working, but could give problems when it comes down to actual usage patterns. Graphics drivers are a fine example of this, along with chipset drivers.

I just need to understand your printer setup a bit more, but in case having two network interfaces active on Windows 8 is causing a problem, disable your Wi-Fi connection and leave the computer to strictly have a wired connection to the router. This helps to rule out problems which would occur if Windows is having a hard time determining what adapter to send your network traffic through.

Lastly, I am assuming here you performed a clean install of Windows 8/8.1 instead of simply installing over Windows XP, is that right? Microsoft does not to my knowledge allow an upgrade install from XP to 8, so with that in mind, a drive format is usually in order during Windows installation.

Lastly, any Windows operating system as of Windows XP Service Pack 1 with appropriate hardware understand all Wireless encryption methods from WEP to WPA2, so there is no difference in that stance AND your router should be fine. Other devices not losing connectivity to the Internet should prove this.

0 Likes