Verizon search page appearing in iPad
jla930
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've tried getting an answer to this in the Apple forums to no avail.  You'll see why I'm posting this question here.

When using Safari in iPad, you can simply type the name of the site you want to go to in the address bar without having to type .com.  For example, if you type apple in the address bar and you don't type .com after it, Safari automatically adds the .com and will take you to the Apple site.

I updated my iPad's operating system to version 4.3 the other day.  Now when I type apple (or any other name) in the address bar without typing .com, I get a Verizon search page.  See attached link.

Now here's the thing.  You'll notice in the Verizon search page that I linked to has a button that says "About this page/Opt-out".  I clicked that button, and it explains how to change the DNS settings in the router.  I'm using the same Verizon wireless router for both my iPad and iMac.  But I'm NOT having this problem when using Safari in my iMac.  So it would seem that I do not need to change the settings in the router.

Any other iPad users have this problem?

Here's the link

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n530/jla930/photo.jpg

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon search page appearing in iPad
Hubrisnxs
Legend

What you're getting is Verizon's DNS Assistant.  You can opt out of it pretty easily by following these instructions

Opting out of DNS Assistance by changing your DNS settings in Macintosh OS X 10.3 and 10.4 There are two procedures that you must complete in order to opt out of DNS Assistance:

1. Find and record your current DNS server settings.
  2. Statically Assign your DNS Settings.

Follow the detailed steps below to complete each procedure.

Note: Setting the DNS server settings to static will opt out all computers including those connected through a wireless connection. 

Find and record your current DNS server settings

1. Double click the Macintosh HD icon on your computer desktop.
  2. Double click the Applications folder.
  3. Double click the Utilities folder.
  4. Double click the Terminal/Terminal.app icon.
  5. Type cat /etc/resolv.conf at the command prompt in the terminal window. Make sure you enter a space between cat and /etc.
  6. Record the numbers located in the nameserver fields. These numbers represent your current DNS server settings.
  7. Close the terminal window.

Statically Assign your DNS Settings

1. Click the Apple icon, and then select System Preferences.
  2. Click the Network icon.
  3. Select the active adapter from the list, and then then click Configure.
    Note: Active adapters have a green dot next to the adapter.
  4. Select the TCP/IP tab in the Network screen.
  5. Enter the DNS server addresses you previously recorded into the DNS Servers section.
  6. Replace the last octet of your DNS server addresses with .14.
    For example, if your existing DNS address is 123.123.123.12, replace the .12 at the end of the address with .14. The new address for this example would be 123.123.123.14.
  7. Click Apply Now to save your changes.

View solution in original post

Hubrisnxs
Legend

What you're getting is Verizon's DNS Assistant.  You can opt out of it pretty easily by following these instructions

Opting out of DNS Assistance by changing your DNS settings in Macintosh OS X 10.3 and 10.4 There are two procedures that you must complete in order to opt out of DNS Assistance:

1. Find and record your current DNS server settings.
  2. Statically Assign your DNS Settings.

Follow the detailed steps below to complete each procedure.

Note: Setting the DNS server settings to static will opt out all computers including those connected through a wireless connection. 

Find and record your current DNS server settings

1. Double click the Macintosh HD icon on your computer desktop.
  2. Double click the Applications folder.
  3. Double click the Utilities folder.
  4. Double click the Terminal/Terminal.app icon.
  5. Type cat /etc/resolv.conf at the command prompt in the terminal window. Make sure you enter a space between cat and /etc.
  6. Record the numbers located in the nameserver fields. These numbers represent your current DNS server settings.
  7. Close the terminal window.

Statically Assign your DNS Settings

1. Click the Apple icon, and then select System Preferences.
  2. Click the Network icon.
  3. Select the active adapter from the list, and then then click Configure.
    Note: Active adapters have a green dot next to the adapter.
  4. Select the TCP/IP tab in the Network screen.
  5. Enter the DNS server addresses you previously recorded into the DNS Servers section.
  6. Replace the last octet of your DNS server addresses with .14.
    For example, if your existing DNS address is 123.123.123.12, replace the .12 at the end of the address with .14. The new address for this example would be 123.123.123.14.
  7. Click Apply Now to save your changes.

jla930
Enthusiast - Level 1

I changed my settings and it worked.  I didn't think I had to change the settings, since I had no problem on my iMac, only on the iPad.  But changing the settings fixed the problem on the iPad, and didn't affect the performance on the iMac.

Thank you!