Weak wireless signal
Marshawk
Enthusiast - Level 1

My Fios router is in the basement at one side of a 1800 sqf house. Wireless signall strength is poor on the second floor and in my family room which is set one floor up and 30 ft away from the router. What can I do to remedy this?

Re: Weak wireless signal
Hubrisnxs
Legend

You will first want to change the wireless signal, as you are more than likely - simply on a channel that is seeing a lot of interference.  You can download InSSIDer (thanks justin) to see how congested the wireless channel you are on  you can do that in the router.   open a browser, and go to http://192.168.1.1

user name is admin.  and the password is most likely the serial number found on the service tag of your VZ router unless you changed it. Once you login succesfully, go to the top and hit wireless, then on the left basic security.   then go to option 3 which is channel  1, 6 and 11 and are the only channels you should try.

So it will likely be set to auto, change it to 11 and put the check for keep settings even after reboot (Directly under the channel) and then hit apply.  after you hit apply,  test your connection out, if you notice a difference, leave it like that until the problem happens again, and if it happens again, go back into the router, and try channel 6,     test it out.  and then finally 1 if the first two don't work.

Also take a look at page 2 of Actiontec's Wireless PDF File.  It gives you some idea's with regards to position and orientation of where the router sits and how it can best be positioned for maximum coverage.

If all three channels do not work, then you'll want to explore the following two options.

»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What is a MOCA Bridge? (recommended bridge is the HME2200 or the EB2200)

Two best options.

0 Likes
Re: Weak wireless signal
JustaGuy
Contributor - Level 2

@Marshawk wrote:

My Fios router is in the basement at one side of a 1800 sqf house. Wireless signall strength is poor on the second floor and in my family room which is set one floor up and 30 ft away from the router. What can I do to remedy this?

You didn't mention which router you have.  If you have the Actiontec, it has a replaceable atenna.  It comes with a 7dBi Gain, w/RP-SMA Connector.  You could replace it with a 9 dBi with greater range or connect an atenna with a 6'-10' cable which could put it in a better location withour moving the router.  May be the simple solution.  Cost would probably be less than $20.