Which Channel should i use for my network
Xclusive1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Which Channel

Re: Which Channel should i use for my network
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Are you talking about wireless?  Networks come in various flavors, wired or  wireless.

For wireless LAN, The best is to use automatic but if you want to select a channel, you must use 1, 6, or 11.

0 Likes
hracer
Contributor - Level 2

use this software to find what channels your neighbors are using the most. Then use another channel that is used the least. You want to use the channel that is not used the most. Hope that helps.

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

In case you are not comfortable installing software recommended by hracer, the auto channel selection is supposed to listen and see what other devices are in use and if a conflict exists its supposed to change the channel automatically.  

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@jumpin68ny wrote:

In case you are not comfortable installing software recommended by hracer, the auto channel selection is supposed to listen and see what other devices are in use and if a conflict exists its supposed to change the channel automatically.  

Yeah, but my experience is that the auto switching really does not work very well. Of course YMMV. My recommendation is to try channels 1, 6, and 11, and see which performs the best. If none perform up to expectations, then I highly recommend installing inSSIDer, it is simple and easy and free, and you can easily see what the activity is on all of the channels near your home.

And of course, depending on what OS you are running, there may be some tuning options in the PCs that can improve things. But I would try setting the channels first.

Keller, TX 76248 

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Justin, I agree with you and that is why I said "supposed" to.  LOL

cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

The OP does not say what s\he knows about the wireless spectrum, nor anyting about why s\he is asking the question, so I throw in this:  a few more considerations include that other devices in your imediate area may also be on the same frequency, and they all usually start at channel 1 and move up to 2, then 3, then 4 etc looking for an available channel.   things like some older cordless phones (not talking about cellular), baby monitors, wireless satellite TV transmission, wireless blue ray, etc.etc

ArCan
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi!

Do you know about RFI, EMI, signal strength and level of noise?

You should find the best channel with minimum RFI, EMI, NoiseLevel and maximum signal strength.

IMHO

P.S. Even if you are not familiar with FCC rules and don't want crack max output power your router, WiFi card etc.

or even frequencies and number of channels

you always can find the best channel and sometimes it's not 1, 6 or 11 or of course others on 5GHz WiFi band

because every antenna doesn't have same SWR on all frequencies and ...

bla bla bla

Sorry my native language is Russian Robot Very Happy

God Bless America ! Smiley Very Happy

0 Likes