Which is a better performing more reliable router for Internet - Actiontec or Westell?
bighank
Enthusiast - Level 1

For Internet I understand that Cat5 is the way to go as there is more flexibility for using other routers versus MOCA. Not going to use TV so don't need MOCA or coax to ONT.  Actiontec Rev A-D have a very small NAT table.  E is larger and F is larger still.  Don't know much about the Westell FIOS router.  Need reliable high speed connection and want to ensure that I am not getting the wrong hardware.  Can someone who has had experience with both of these routers give me some information on their performance, reliability and overall connectivity.  See there is a USB connection on Actiontec Rev E but cannot find any information in the detailed user manual on how it is accessed or used.  What about the Westell? Does it have a USB connection too?

Re: Which is a better performing more reliable router for Internet - Actiontec or Westell?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Westell does not have any USB ports on it, and as it stands right now the USB ports on the ActionTecs you see have no purpose other than to maybe act as a USB charger.

Overall, both routers would give you equal performance in terms of throughput. As far as NAT Table is concerned, the Westell would probably be the way to go, but I've honestly had no issues with an ActionTec Rev. D on my DSL line. Of course, I have DD-WRT loaded up on it so I get a ton of control over the NAT table.

Re: Which is a better performing more reliable router for Internet - Actiontec or Westell?
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Well, if your not going to be getting the TV service and your going to have it installed with ethernet instead of moca. Forget the Verizon router. Go out and buy a router of your own.

Since you dont have TV service, there is nothing there that requires the Verizon router. And with ethernet instead of moca, any router is compatible. Therefore you can use anything you want. Just keep the Verizon router for troubleshooting issues, but other than that, I'd just go out, find the best router on the market and use it.

bighank
Enthusiast - Level 1

Was told that if I used another router as main router from the ONT I would have to implement it with a static IP address.  Is this true? 

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Not at all. You can use anything you want and it will be compatable. Verizon will discourage it as they want their own router there, but you can use anything you want. Verizon will not support your router, which is why I say keep theirs for troubleshooting. So if anything goes wrong, you connect theirs so they can troubleshoot and fix it, then reconnect yours.

That is what I do. I use a Dlink router myself (dont have the model off the top of my head) but any router on the market should work, and it will work with every type of internet service FIOS has.