Wi-Fi Connect won't work with Windows 7 64 bit. HELP!!!
AK1124
Enthusiast - Level 2

I upgraded my laptop which came with Vista 32 bit (Sony VGN-FZ340E) to Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate. This was a "clean" install, there is nothing left of the old OS. On Vista, Wi-Fi Connect would always run in the background and when I get in range of a Verizon hotspot (like Starbucks or a Hotel), it would say it found it and connect. With 64 bit Windows 7 installed, nothing happens at Starbucks. It seems to be running, but nothing happens, no messages or anything. Even at home when connected to my OWN Wi-Fi I can't even use the Update Hotspot feature. It asks to log in, I log in and it coems back after saying updating hot spots in about 1 min with a update failed message (check name, password or Internet connectivity).

Has anyone gotten Wi-Fi Connect to work on Windows 7? How did you do it? It seems to install just fine.

Re: Wi-Fi Connect won't work with Windows 7 64 bit. HELP!!!
lou611661
Contributor - Level 1

Did you check the drivers,is it possible that sony does not supply drivers for this version of 7 on your model.

tns
Master - Level 2

To answer your last question.  Yes it works witn windows 7 64 bit at least on most machines running it.

Is your wireless connection working to other access points?

AK1124
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is not a Sony issue, it is a Verizon problem. I'm talking about the Verizon PROGRAM "Wi-Fi Connect"

0 Likes
AK1124
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is your wireless connection working to other access points?

Yes, My WIFI works fine. It's only the Verizon program "Wi-Fi Connect" that does work. It says it's scanning for networks, but it never comes up and says Verizon WiFi found.

Also, when I am connected to a wi-fi network via Windows, if I click on update Wi-Fi hotspots in Wi-Fi connect, it fails.

It was working fine on this laptop with 32 bit Windows Vista,

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

How do I know if my laptop or netbook is compatible with Verizon Wi-Fi?Verizon Wi-Fi is compatible with

• The 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows Vista

• The 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows 7

So having established that it works fine on win 7 64 bit, have you tried disabling any firewalls -  firewalls can block connections

like that.    

Also try to use some of the info here, What if I have trouble connecting? and Additional troubleshooting information is available in the Wi-Fi Connect User Guide .

0 Likes
BMG4ME1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the same issue - I have it installed on my Windows 7 64-bit machine and although it is running, it doesn't work.  I am sitting here in Starbucks, which has a Verizon Wifi hotspot (actually Boingo - which is what Verizon Wi-Fi uses) and the "Connect" box does not appear.  I had the same issue at an airport recently.  It's one of the worse pieces of software I have had the misfortune to use.  When it fails to connect, it causes the Wifi connection to drop (incompatibility with Lenovo Access Connections, maybe).  I don't think that Verizon understands the meaning of "QA" and "Software Testing".