Wired 'net access, not close to router
winsor

Hi,

I'm wondering if someone can help.  We have FIOS and are running wireless through the Actiontec router.  Everything there works fine.  The problem is we recently purchased a new entertainment center and it comes with a wired inetnet access point - no wireless.  The problem is it is too far away from our router to readily run a cat-5 cable to it.  I've looked into bridging to the Actiontec, but it doesn't seem to support that. 

Is there a device that acts as a simple wireless client but has an RJ45 connection on it?  A device that can connect to the coax (as I understand that the ONT box is what is actually acting as the modem - the Actiontec box is simply a router and wireless access point) that will function as a 2nd router and connect?

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Re: Wired 'net access, not close to router
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Google wireless extender or wireless range extender and make your pick.

or

Get an old Linksys Wrt54g and hack the firmware to change it to an extender - you can find info on the internet on how to do this and what software you need to download.  You need to make sure the router is a specific rev level or newer for this to work but this is a considerably cheaper solution that buying a real wireless extender.

0 Likes
Arthurlw
Contributor - Level 1
JKennedy
Enthusiast - Level 3

How is a wireless extender going to help with a wired only device?

0 Likes
JKennedy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Running Cat5 isn't as difficult as it usually seems to be.  Residetial can be tricky, but it's not always as tricky as you'd think.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@JKennedy wrote:

How is a wireless extender going to help with a wired only device?

You get a wireless extender with an ethernet port on it, that's the norm.

Could always consider powerline extenders, though I've never heard anything really good about them.  However every room has power sockets.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@Arthurlw wrote:

Well, there's this here method....

Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax? (#15984)

See this FAQ at:  http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking

In my opinion this is the best way,  those actiontec's are cheap on ebay, and then you're hardwired vs wireless.  I try to do as little wireless as possible

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Another option is to use EOP (Ethernet over power). This is a device that comes with two units. Unit 1 plugs into an electrical outlet near the router and you run Ethernet from it to the router. Unit 2 plugs into the electrical near your entertainment center and you run an Ethernet cable from it to the entertainment center. Then the connection from the router to your center is connected via the electrical wiring in your house. Better than wireless, not quite as good as a direct hardwire but it is a good compromise.