adding a router to improve video streaming
DocRock80

I hope a more tech-minded person out there can help me with this.  I want to add a blu-ray player connected to the Internet so that I can download movies from Netflix, etc.  I want to put this in my basement, which is one floor below and on the other side of the house from my router.  I know I can add the player to my network, but I've heard that streaming doesn't work very well.  I've been advised that I should use an Ethernet connection from the router, but I'm not anxious to run wire from one end of my house to another floor.  Can I either add another router (since I have cable - FiOS - in the basement, or should I move the current router from the first floor to the basement, and then connect the router to the new player?  I hope this question makes sense - I'm not very knowledgeable about this technology.  Thanks for any help or advice you can offer.

0 Likes
Re: adding a router to improve video streaming
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Well it sounds like you already have a TV in that room, so my assumption is that you probably have a Verizon Cable Box in there too.  If you do, then you might be able to use this method here. 

It would be my preferred method if I were in your shoes. 

So what you would do is purchase one of the following

• NIM 100 (primarily found on ebay as low as 40 dollars or so)
  • Actiontec ECB2200 or HME2200 They are what replaced the Nim 100 and are about 80 dollars and up.
  • An older Actiontec mi424 modem/router like what you have now, Ebay Bidding on those as low as 20 bucks I think

The differences in those, are that the NIM 100 and the ECB2200 are both plug n play. No frills no thrills and easy to use, but a little more expensive.

The Actiontec 2nd router scenario is quite a bit cheaper, but takes some elbow grease to configure it

0 Likes