Re: anti virus software
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Justin wrote:

.... back up your system to an external hard drive, just in case the worst happens!

Excellent point and one that seems to elude even the most experienced users.  I try to have all my computers back up the ENTIRE SYSTEM to a separate physical drive on a regular basis.  Usually "regular basis" means once a day.   Recently I was discussing this with a friend who's quite sophisticated computer-wise, and even he looked at me somewhat quizzically.  Even with this system, I am prepared to learn in extremis that I have not done enough to secure my systems.  Life is complicated.

lilhighway
Enthusiast - Level 3

justin,

nothing is gonna get pass the network address translation firewall unless you open a port manually.second of all a software firewall is useless due to the fact you have a nat firewall which is gonna catch all the traffic.adding the software firewall could create a "false postive" alert.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@lilhighway wrote:

justin,

nothing is gonna get pass the network address translation firewall unless you open a port manually.second of all a software firewall is useless due to the fact you have a nat firewall which is gonna catch all the traffic.adding the software firewall could create a "false postive" alert.

It's not very difficult to start punching holes through a NAT, in fact it's quite trivial. You still need the extra layer of protection. There's a reason why big companies simply don't rely on NAT and instead rely on Firewall appliances in between the core and the edge network.

0 Likes