has anyone tested this VERIZON extender device?
gamer99
Contributor - Level 1

www.verizon.com/fiosaccessories

Has anyone tested this extender device in their home.

please, let me know the results. How does it work?

How do you connect it to the network?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: has anyone tested this VERIZON extender device?
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@cyberdome wrote:

Which one of those accessories are you talking about?

I assume it probably the wireless network extender?

Interestingly I just responded to somebody in home networking regarding the use of Cisco extenders and mentioned the same device albeit it appeared to be dramatically more expenesive where I found the price than this one

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Home-Networking/wifi-relay-or-extender-device/td-p/441943

If you are talking about that device I would guess that it should work fine as basically what it is doing is exactly what I suggested by using an old VZ router in bridged mode.  There is a plus in the device in the list that it's even farther ahead that the VZ advanced router(The rev I at $99) in that the extender apparently supports dual band for less $ - would be cheaper to buy that than upgrading to the rev I.  In addition seems to have a built in spliiter, even more $ saving)

View solution in original post

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@cyberdome wrote:

Which one of those accessories are you talking about?

I assume it probably the wireless network extender?

Interestingly I just responded to somebody in home networking regarding the use of Cisco extenders and mentioned the same device albeit it appeared to be dramatically more expenesive where I found the price than this one

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Home-Networking/wifi-relay-or-extender-device/td-p/441943

If you are talking about that device I would guess that it should work fine as basically what it is doing is exactly what I suggested by using an old VZ router in bridged mode.  There is a plus in the device in the list that it's even farther ahead that the VZ advanced router(The rev I at $99) in that the extender apparently supports dual band for less $ - would be cheaper to buy that than upgrading to the rev I.  In addition seems to have a built in spliiter, even more $ saving)

gamer99
Contributor - Level 1

sorry for the confusion, yes I was referring to the wireless network extender?

does this help improve with the wireless speeds? 

I understand now what you are talking about.  I did not see that on the list before until now. 

so just wondering if it will help with the wireless speeds?

0 Likes
VUser50
Contributor - Level 2

Nope. But my 2 cents:

Hooks up via COAX or ethernet.

Probably a good bet if your house has COAX preinstalled and wiring ethernet to the area would be hard. If you can get an ethernet cable to the problem area (from your main router), you are likely better off with a similarlly priced router in access point mode.

0 Likes
VUser50
Contributor - Level 2

@cyberdome wrote:

sorry for the confusion, yes I was referring to the wireless network extender?

does this help improve with the wireless speeds? 

I understand now what you are talking about.  I did not see that on the list before until now. 

so just wondering if it will help with the wireless speeds?

It will help out with range more than raw speed. So if you have a good WiFi connection next to your router but have an area where you have a COAX (or ethernet) cable available and have poor speed this will help by basically acting as a 2nd router.

In terms of raw performance: It may be somewhat faster than your main router, since it uses the 5GHz band which is good in areas with a lot of WiFi traffic and at close range. Unsure if it is otherwise more powerful since I don't own one, but I'd suspect overall you will see performance similar to your main router. (but again if your poor speeds are mainly because you are in an area far away from your router this will definitely help)

BTW: If you do get this, try to go into the setting of both your main router and this and make sure the channels are set far apart to prevent interference, especially if there is some overlap in the areas they cover. Hopefully the software is smart enough to do this automatically, but I wouldn't bet on it.

0 Likes
ChileRick

It works VERY well. . . ..

we use it to hardwire our two desktops in the office, which is a couple of rooms away from the video equipment and router ( whole house DVR ) We were running at 1/2 speed over wifi.now we are at full speed, with the 5G setting  the newer phones and tablets also work great in the office. I highly recomend it if you have an area in your home were the wifi signal falls off, either with a computer or tablet, even a phone, You do need a system connected coax cable.

ipad air, 3 ft from extender - 61.08 / 29.54

3 ft from router      - 59.29 / 29.61

there you go, extender slightly faster!

our '07 imac reads 57.87 / 39.69 hardwired 

0 Likes
corbin1

I have the extender and it works well.  the only glitch i seem to have is that my devices will go from the extender (5g) to the router automatically, but when i go from the router to the extender, I have to go and manually switch.  Anybody know why it might be doing this?  Verizon tech support couldn't help me.

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

The problem is with your devices.   There is nothing in the SOHO WiFi standards that controls how and or what AP a device will connect to.   Some devices handle it OK others not so well.

To do what you and most people want regading WiFi roaming  you will need to install commercial grade APs with a centralized controller that will analyze what AP a device should connect to.

Using your present equipment give each of the three radios a different SSID,  put them all on different and non over lapping channels and educate family members to connect to the nearest/strongest signal using 5 Ghz if their device supports it.

0 Likes