i keep getting disconnected
skyliner34
Contributor - Level 2

why do i keep getting disconnected from my internet fios? Before i had DSL i didn't get disconnected. But since i had FIOS i usually get disconnected why is this? I though FIOS was suppose to better then DSL... how come i keep getting disconnected im wired i have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit none of my other computer disconnect or my ipod or my iphone

Re: i keep getting disconnected
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@skyliner34 wrote:

why do i keep getting disconnected from my internet fios? Before i had DSL i didn't get disconnected. But since i had FIOS i usually get disconnected why is this? I though FIOS was suppose to better then DSL... how come i keep getting disconnected im wired i have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit none of my other computer disconnect or my ipod or my iphone

Not enough info. FIOS is much better than DSL in every stretch of the imagination. (except for price possible Smiley Wink ). If only your windows 7 computer is getting disconnected but none of the other computers or Ipod are getting disconnected, then it is something to do with your computer, not the FIOS. Possibly a bad windows update, bad nic driver, faulty nic card, faulty Ethernet cable, or possibly a bad setting in the settings on the computer.

I recently had a laptop that kept disabling the nic card after 5 minutes when it was plugged into power. I had to turn off power saving mode to get it to connect correctly. This of course is just an example of one possible issue out of thousands that happened with just one of my laptops. Took quite a while to figure out because I'd never seen anything like it.

But from the limited info you've given. Sounds like a computer issue rather than a FIOS issue.

skyliner34
Contributor - Level 2

i have windows 7 ultimate 64 bit

6 gigs of ddr2 ram

640gb hd

nvidia geforce 9600 gso verto 768MB GDDR3

Intel Pentium E5400 Dual Core

i think that is enough im using the ethernet cable that verizon provider and my other wired computer is using a blue wired i tired both wire and different ethernet wired and they all seem to disconnect i had to replace router 3 times because i though that was the problem but no that just solved my speed problem not my disconnect problem i have latest updates because my computer can't get anymore updates

I have Realtek PCIe family controller as my ethernet port i looked in

Control Panel>Network and internet> CHange adapter settings.

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

sorry, I should have been more clear. I didnt mean we needed your computer specs.

No, what I ment was, more info about the disconnects. When you get disconnected, do you loose the LAN light on the router? What do you do to get it back up? Are you able to ping the router or internet from the command prompt? Do you have any security on the computer? Firewall?

Since you've replaced the router and ethernet cable, and we already know that the actual internet works because your other comptuers dont get disconnected. At least we now know it is definatly something on the computer itself. Since you do have other computers that can get online, I'd try going out and getting updated Nic card drivers from one of your other computers and use a thumb drive so you can install it on the non working computer.

I'd also try resetting the internet protocol on the computer.

Open the run window (windows key + R) and type the command

netsh int ip reset log.txt 

The command window will open then close, and then reboot the computer. See if you can connect then.

Another thing you can try, you can try to use the System Restore and roll the computer back to a time where it worked correctly. This may help if you got a bad update or software change.

prisaz
Legend

I was having a similar issue with my Win 7 ultimate box with old NIC drivers for the Network. Nvidia Chip set on an Asus motherboard. I went to Nvidia and udated drivers that were newer than the Microsoft Versions. Problem solved.

Also helps with drive larger than 1.25 TB if you have updated FW on the MB.

If you have Nvidia

Just a wild guess. But here is the link to the one that fixed my issues. Win 7 64bit. MS does not have this on their update list.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_win7_64bit_15.53.html

Sorry I just noticed that you said you had realtek NIC and only nVidia Video. I would still look at the driver as a possible cause. MS does not always have the latest.

skyliner34
Contributor - Level 2

I don't lose the lan light when i disconnect i just go to my control panel>network and internet>change adapter settings>disable my network from there and enable again. i never had this problem with Verizon DSL why is this such a problem with FIOS can you please explain?

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@skyliner34 wrote:

I don't lose the lan light when i disconnect i just go to my control panel>network and internet>change adapter settings>disable my network from there and enable again. i never had this problem with Verizon DSL why is this such a problem with FIOS can you please explain?

I never would loose my lan light either. Just my connectivity. I updated my network interface driver and my issues went away.

Under the Network Connection and Sharing Center does your network type say Home Network or Public?

I know early on, some users had the same issue with Vista wireless connections when set to Public, If set to public, perhaps click on the link and set it to home.

0 Likes
skyliner34
Contributor - Level 2

i said im on my LAN network not on wireless and its on home network and i updated my motherboards ethernet driver and now it hasn't disconnect since ill see if it still disconnects or not

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@skyliner34 wrote:

i said im on my LAN network not on wireless and its on home network and i updated my motherboards ethernet driver and now it hasn't disconnect since ill see if it still disconnects or not

I did mention in my first post in this thread the NIC, Network Interface Card driver as what fixed my computer that was having the same issue. I am glad it is working for you now. Windows 7 pushed SP1 put to me this morning, but I suspect the driver in SP1 is still outdated. I had to go directly to Nvidia for my driver, because ASUS still did not have a newer driver. My network availability has not dropped out since my driver upgrade.

0 Likes
skyliner34
Contributor - Level 2

its still disconnect 😞 i have downloaded the realtek ethernet driver and it still is disconnecting for me. any solution? please i need more help

0 Likes