lost internet connection frequently, about every 15 or 20 minutes
RobertYen

I'm using my MacBook Air, and connected to Verizon Actiontec MI424WR Rev i, wifi router.  I lost the internet connection frequently, like every 15 or 20 minutes. 

After lost it, I went in my router, 192.168.1.1, and checked the status by runnint "test connectivity", or the ICMP echo.  It tested it successfully.  But I still don't have internet connection, from my MacBook.  I checked all my firewall rules, there are nothing blocking it.  Even the router shows internet connection (WAN) access is fine.

What's wrong?  Other settings in the router block my internet access?

Hope someone could help!

Robert

0 Likes
Re: lost internet connection frequently, about every 15 or 20 minutes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

sounds like it might be  the wireless signal.  you can change that in the router.   open a browser, and go to http://192.168.1.1

user name is admin.  and the password is most likely the serial number found on the service tag of your VZ router unless you changed it. Once you login succesfully, go to the top and hit wireless, then on the left basic security.   then go to option 3 which is channel  1, 6 and 11 and are the only channels you should try.

So it will likely be set to auto, change it to 11 and put the check for keep settings even after reboot (Directly under the channel) and then hit apply.  after you hit apply,  test your connection out, if you notice a difference, leave it like that until the problem happens again, and if it happens again, go back into the router, and try channel 6,     test it out.  and then finally 1 if the first two don't work.

Also take a look at page 2 of Actiontec's Wireless PDF File.  It gives you some idea's with regards to position and orientation of where the router sits and how it can best be positioned for maximum coverage.

http://support.actiontec.com/doc_files/MI424WR_Rev(all)_Wireless_Networking_Guide.pdf

0 Likes
Re: lost internet connection frequently, about every 15 or 20 minutes
csnuz
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you were able to connect to the router admin page and the the ICMP echo/ping test was successful, then changing the channels may not be the problem.Make sure you are not too far awy from the router and that the line of sight is not being blocked.  If there are too many walls or angles between you computer and the router, the signal will be too week. Also check if it only happens when you are on battery or when plugged in.  Sometimes the energy saver mode (though not specifically mentioned) when it spins down the disk it can also reduce the power to the WiFi antenna to save power causing the connection to be lost momentarily.  In the past I had similar issues where my Macbook Pro would do the same thing of intermittently dropping the signal/connection.  The problem turned out to be with the Airport adapter itself. I believe Apple recently had an update for Airport. You can check apple support site to check for an update- Apple Suppport

0 Likes