lost printer access after daisychaining linksys secondary onto Actiontec primary router
pdoyle

Help please..Need to get printer connection lost when FIOS Actiontec router wireless G replaced with WRT160N.

My devices;

1. a Dell Vista desktop is home pc, hardwired to...
  2. a FIOS Actiontec wireless G router (model # MI424WR....  the current router they're installing;) and...
  3. Ricoh Aficio printers (first was just a printer; second one, is printer and fax...) are hardwired to same Vista desktop. 
  4. Plus, a laptop and...
  5.  a desktop pc's, both running XP SP3; both connecting with Netgear USB wireless adapters; WN111v1, and WN111v2.
  6. recently added Linksys WRT160N router to the network to control the wireless, taking that duty away from the Actiontec (which had to keep as DHCP enabled primary router, for TV service.)
  7. Apple Airport Express as wireless client; just to play iTunes wirelessly thru home stereo.
  1. first configuration;  All worked fine 2 months ago, before I installed FIOS; original configuration was, Aficio Printer hardwired to Vista desktop; RCN broadband service with modem; router was Linksys WRT160N,; security bounced between WPA 2 and WPA, depending on what worked at the time.   my XP laptop could connect wirelessly through network, to that printer.
  2. -then, switched from RCN broadband to Verizon FIOS; implemented second configuration;  modem removed, replaced by Actiontec wireless G router for internet and tv, initially taking away the Linksys for the Actiontec for wireless etc.   I was still able to use the Actiontec's G signal to find the printer through the network; so, still OK.  I also changed security from WEP to WPA2-AES, which worked fine; even adding Airport Express for wireless iTunes to home stereo.  But Not happy with G speed;
  3. then implemented third config; - so dusted off and daisychained the Linksys as secondary router, hardwired to the Actiontec, to act as an access point for wireless, shutting off the Actiontec wireless signal.  Worked great for N internet connection; but now cannot connect to printer.   Also at this time, Coincidentally, a different printer/fax machine replaced the original printer; Aficio brand.  No drivers were added to the other pc's for this printer. 

Net result; my XP pc's can still connect to router and internet; but cannot install the new printer completely.

my XP laptop shows the printer, but gets error "spooling service not running".  an XP desktop doesn't even show the printer when browsing to add printers; it gets stuck at error "cannot add a printer not in the trusted network".  Named all computers as WORKGROUP and did the windows network set-up.  I also have McAfee antivirus on the Vista home pc; but have Norton Symantec from Comcast (long story!) on the 2 XP pc's; so I cannot fully identify and manage the three pc;'s on the network.

trying to fix; last night i downloaded and installed onto the XP's microsoft's hotfix  (? Lttp or whatever) which successfully made them show up on the Vista network map, with properties displayed etc.

I also hardwired the laptop to printer and installed Aficio drivers; it seems to be installed, but never got it to print a test page.

'wirelessly i can bring the printer up on laptop network map, see properties and settings (for printing); but get error message when trying to print test page.  Meanwhile, the vista desktop can still use the printer, as always.

my ideas;

1. change WPA2-AES back to WEP; just to see (but hardwiring printer to laptop didn't succeed completely...?)

2. could put McAfee on all three pc's, if that would help.  rather not, i prefer the Symantec (but hardwiring ruled this out, right??)

3. try to configure so that all devices are identified clearly on the network, and managed.

any suggestions?

thanks, pdoyle

0 Likes
Re: lost printer access after daisychaining linksys secondary onto Actiontec primary router
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Some routers have a small/tiny NAT table.

Points to http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16233

#2 If this Actiontec does not have a small/tiny NAT table:

a) Points to

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking

b) Do option 3.

--

If you have any questions about how to do option number 3 of those tradeoffs, please post.

0 Likes
Re: lost printer access after daisychaining linksys secondary onto Actiontec primary router
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader
  • then implemented third config; - so dusted off and daisychained the Linksys as secondary router, hardwired to the Actiontec, to act as an access point for wireless, shutting off the Actiontec wireless signal.  Worked great for N internet connection; but now cannot connect to printer.   Also at this time, Coincidentally, a different printer/fax machine replaced the original printer; Aficio brand.  No drivers were added to the other pc's for this printer. 
  • How did you connect the linksys to the actiontec?

If it was lan port of actiontec to wan port of linksys the presumably the linksys is on a secondary subnet which will give you problems getting to the printers as there is no route to them.

If that is what happened you just need to move all your hard wired ethernet connections from the actiontec to the linksys.  One everything is on the same subnet then it should all work OK again.  In addition anything on the linksys subnet should be able to see anything on the actiontec network (not vice versa)