Re: FIOS Better Not Drop WJAR Channel 10 In RI or I WILL G Back TO COX
cayriawill
Enthusiast - Level 2

@RIGuy29 wrote:

Cayria, 

Cox is a locally established company. Their corporate offices for their northeast footprint is right in West Warwick, RI. They have a local presence and local connection with their audience in the region so they know the meaning of what it's like to have a connection with a local broadcaster. Verizon lacks that small region connectivity to it's audience. To them, Rhode Island and SE Mass are just "markets" and they probably would have a hard time pointing out where places like Warwick, Woonsocket, Fall River, and Somerset are on a map. It's companies like this that make smart decisions for their audience, as Cox has done with their recent retrans contract negotiations.

Cox gave me $200 to switch back to them (automatically applied to my bill, no silly rebate forms and 12-16 months of fighting) and waived any install fees.

Glad that Cox held up their end of the bargin with you. I could not get stable service or promises through them. My post is ment to show what information is out there and to put to rest the nonsense that everyone else is throwing out there.

Cox does not have a corporate office in Warwick, it is a business office. Just like Verizon has a business office in Providence. As far as having connections with broadcasters, it means nothing when the broadcasters want to hike their fees for rebroadcasting. Time Warner Cable is in the same boat as Verizon with NBC affiliate Stations. In the case of Time Warner Cable the broadcaster wants to up their charges by 400% (and have been blackout since Dec 12). I will bet that this will even happen with Cox, it is just a matter of time. To state facts about local broadcasting connections, Cox had an retransmission dispute with an Atlanta based broadcaster (WFNA - Lin Media) which is in the same town as their corporate office back in March 2011. I am sure if I look, I could find about half a dozen, if not more, per cable provider in any year. (Quick search for other stations Cox has had disputes with this year: WPGA, WTNH - New Haven, CT, WVFB - Virgina) Some of them are from the same broadcaster that is reached to multiple markets.

The rate that these disputes are occuring is becoming an epidemic. 

polo4ri1

First Verizon Wireless wants to charge me to pay them on their website and now they want to take NBC away.  Anyone have the number to Cox?

0 Likes
Replete
Contributor - Level 1
0 Likes