6416-2 Multi-room DVR repeatedly reboots
Ptichou

My Motorola 6416-2 Multi-room DVR reboots several times a day, sometimes several times in a few hours. It seems to have started about the time that the new guide was launched. I called customer service and they set up a trouble call. The tech arrived, checked a few analytics on the box and could find no problem. He said that he and another tech have the same problem and that through some bulletin board that claimed that the box's software is informing the system that it hasn't been updated even though it has been and the system continuously tries to update it. He said that he "tried a few things" and to see if the problem persists. Needless to say it did. I called customer service the next day and spoke to what seemed to be a fairly knowledgeable Rep that told me that he had the same problem and that it is most likely my television and that many Samsung HD's are having the same problem especially when they have Blue Ray players connected. (I have a SHARP AQUOS and no Blue Ray player.) He said it has something to do with the TV's internal system that is supposed to detect bootleg DVD's and shut the system down. He claimed that using an HDMI cable enables this error to occur. He also said that the same reaction will sometimes occur when you change from a low resolution type channel like a cartoon, to a channel whose detail requires much more high resolution and fine detail like a football game when "every blade of grass and droplet of sweat" has to be defined. He said that the speed that the data is being transferred from the TV to the box to the system and back is happening too fast and the box or the system can't keep up. He suggested that I replace the HDMI cable with component cables. What ever happened to the concept that the ultimate results will be achieved with the use of HDMI cables? It's sort of like a mechanic telling a motorist that's having a problem with the steering on his car to use a horse instead. He said he will ship me a replacement box but he told me that the chances are that it will be another 6000 series with the same problem. If the system and/or the box are creating a situation that is causing the TV to do what it was designed to do (by law I believe) why blame the TV? The way I see it is that the TV is the only component that is doing what it's supposed to do. Should I have to "dumb down" my system by replacing the cables to avoid having a problem? What’s the next fix, swap my HD boxes for SD boxes? Keep in mind that none of this was happening prior to the launch of the new guide (and who knows what other changes).

0 Likes
Re: 6416-2 Multi-room DVR repeatedly reboots
Ptichou

UPDATE>>>  Rebooted THREE more times in the hour after I posted this!

0 Likes
SudleyMom

My HD DVR is doing the exact same thing.  I'm curious if you ever resolvd the issue?

0 Likes
Geo25
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would try to request that they send you the 7216 or 7232 as a replacement.

The 6416 models do not work well with the new 1.9 IMG.

I kept having similar problems with the 6416 when the new guide was updated. They eventually replaced mine with the 7232. I would use the chat to get the replacement. It's a lot easier and the guy I dealt with was extremely helpful.

0 Likes