After 2+years, STBs started to intermittently go OFFLINE every 3 weeks
fossil1
Contributor - Level 1

I've has FiOS for over 2 years with very few problems.  For TV I have FiOS Ultimate 1 HD DVR, 1 HD STB and 4 SD STBs, along with 35/35 internet service.  One evening (late on a Thursday), about 6 weeks ago, the HD DVR would not provide VOD.  I checked the HD DVR settings and it showed "offline".  I disconnected the HD DVR's power for 30 seconds and reconnected.  No change - still offline.  I logged into the router and saw only 3 STBs of the 6 STBs were active.  The other 3 STBs didn't appear.  I turned off all the STBs.  I disconnected the power to the router for 60 seconds and reconnected.  After getting "green lights" on the router, I logged into the router.  At that point, only 2 STBs showed.  I went to the HD DVR.  It was still offline.  I disconnected it from the power and after 30 seconds reconnected.  It stayed offline.  I went to the ONT, disconnected the backup battery, waited, reconnected the battery and let everything restart.  No change.  I called FiOS support.  The person was barely understandable, apparently working on making English his second language, but only half-way there.  I told him everything I've written .  He had me go through the same steps with the HD DVR, to no avail.  He then told me to reset the router by depressing the "factory reset".  I protested, telling him it would erase everything - my wireless settings, etc.  He insisted it would not.  Knowing I would get no where disagreeing with him, I cooperated.  of course, after the reset, reconnect & reboot of the router, all my settings were gone.  I was ready to explode.  I insisted on getting a supervisor.  Fortunately, I have a PC hard-wired to the router, so while waiting, for the supervisor (15minutes), I logged into the router and re-entered my wireless and VPN firewall info.  There were still only 2 STBs showing in the router.  When the english-speaking supervisor (Charles) came on, he patiently listened to my tirade and arranged for a tech visit on Saturday.  The next day, Friday, early in the am, I got a call that the tech would be there that day.  The tech arrived at Noon.  We went to  the HD DVR to check it and -- of course, it was on-line.  VOD worked.  I felt like an idiot.  We went to the other 5 STBs and all was well.  I logged into the router and saw all 6 STBs.  He comiserated with me.  He felt there might be a problem with the router and replaced the router with a Rev. F - giving me wireless N.  All was well for 3 weeks, until that Thursday ...  VOD didn't work.  Logging into the router showed only  3 STBs.  I turned all the STBs off.  Unplugged the router 30 seconds.  After the router restarted, I logged in and it showed none of the STBs.  I went to an STB, did the unplug/replug , checked its settings to see it was online and logging into the router, saw that the STB showed there as well.  I did that for the other 5 STBs, and all was well.  3 weeks and 3days passed and tonight, I again was unable to get VOD on the HD DVR.  It showed offline.  I went to the other HD STB, and it was offline.  Unplug/replug and -- it stayed offline.  Logging into the router shows only 3 STBs.  Since devices - STBs & computers - are in use, I will wait until later tonight to unplug/plug the router and then follow that with unplug/plug the STBs.  Hopefully it work -- BUT THIS IS GETTING VERY ANNOYING.  Absolutely nothing in my home wiring has changed - nothing; not a new TV, not a new computer --NOTHING! .  As I said, this started about 6 weeks ago.  Tomorrow morning I will call FiOS support.  Meanwhile, I'm trying to reach out here with the hope of hearing about someone that's overcome a similar situation.  TIA.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: After 2+years, STBs started to intermittently go OFFLINE every 3 weeks
fossil1
Contributor - Level 1

After exchanging PMs with TonyaD_VZ, I got a call, followed by a next day tech visit at 2pm.  Henry, the tech, listened to my story & then took measurements at each STB.  That showed very low signal levels at 4 of the 6 STBs - even too low for an amp to fix; one STB had 22db of loss. He checked around the house more.  Seems the orignal  VZ tech 2 years ago left low-grade splitters in place.  From entry to the most distant STB, there were 7 splitters, and the house had RG59 wiring. I still don't understand how it's worked fine for two+ years.  Henry just jumped in.  This included spending an hour in the cramped attic when outdoor temps were over 90. I suggested returning early another day before it got hot,  but he just plowed ahead without a grumble!  He rewired from the ONT in the basement through to 80% of the wiring & splitters.  Only the last 15 feet to each wall jack remained.  After 2+ hours he left with everything working as it should - things on all STBs seems good.   Vz has done everything any reasonable person can expect towards resolving my service issue. If it stays like this for a month I'll jump for joy.  If it doesn't, Henry left me contact info. 

View solution in original post

TonyaD_VZ
Contributor - Level 3

Fossil,

We are sorry to hear that you are having issues.  We have sent you a PM. 

Thanks Tonya C.  

0 Likes
tzzmnndvl
Enthusiast - Level 3

I hope the steps I am about to give you have worked for me in the past but you have to be willing to factory reset your router one more time. Unfortunately it will be just a little time consuming but it could save you a call to tech support if you haven't called them yet. First start off by disconnecting the power and coax cable (from the "rf in" opr "fios tv in") from all of your STB's. After that factory reset your router the same as you have done in the past, but this time as well unplug it, and reseat the wan coax (or ethernet) cord then plug the router back in. Once you have all of the necessary lights on the router you are going to start reconnecting all of your stb's. The order is important to start out. You want to start with you DVR box, then move onto your HD box, and then your SD boxes in any order as long as you do the DVR first and the HD box second. once you have completed these steps you should see that all of your problems have gone.

If not I apologize, it has worked for me in the past and a couple other people I know with this same problem. Let me know if this works for you.

fossil1
Contributor - Level 1

After exchanging PMs with TonyaD_VZ, I got a call, followed by a next day tech visit at 2pm.  Henry, the tech, listened to my story & then took measurements at each STB.  That showed very low signal levels at 4 of the 6 STBs - even too low for an amp to fix; one STB had 22db of loss. He checked around the house more.  Seems the orignal  VZ tech 2 years ago left low-grade splitters in place.  From entry to the most distant STB, there were 7 splitters, and the house had RG59 wiring. I still don't understand how it's worked fine for two+ years.  Henry just jumped in.  This included spending an hour in the cramped attic when outdoor temps were over 90. I suggested returning early another day before it got hot,  but he just plowed ahead without a grumble!  He rewired from the ONT in the basement through to 80% of the wiring & splitters.  Only the last 15 feet to each wall jack remained.  After 2+ hours he left with everything working as it should - things on all STBs seems good.   Vz has done everything any reasonable person can expect towards resolving my service issue. If it stays like this for a month I'll jump for joy.  If it doesn't, Henry left me contact info.