Any new info on the HDMI issues with the hi def boxes
scottcd21

was wondering if anyone has Any more info other than what verizon is saying and thats not much first they said it was they cable then they reset all my boxes then they sent me new box and still no different everytime i wanna watch tv i have to unplug the HDMI cable 4 or 5 time to get my tv to work i have called verizon 10 times they stated that they will credit my bill $20.00 per week they better give me credit every week until its fixed

0 Likes
Re: Any new info on the HDMI issues with the hi def boxes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I think just about every manufacturer blames HDMI problems on the other guy's equipment. I like to blame the HDMI design and implementation. It was kinda a rushed technology and has caused problems throughout the industry. 

Have you checked the relevant manufacturer thread in the "HDTV Forums" at http://www.avsforum.com?         Sometimes manufacturers provide firmware updates to solve issues like this. In the mean time your best work around is to switch to the Component Video connection instead of HDMI.

Just an FYI - Verizon has released a 1.7 software upgrade and it has fixed a lot of users issues, but if your issue is not fixed by that upgrade, then you will want to check the hdtv forum at avsforum.com and see if you're tv manufacturer has put out a similiar upgrade (firmware), and try to take advantage of that.   

Verizon does these upgrades once maybe twice a year so the 1.8 upgrade is the next one, and there has not been a release date for that upgrade.  the recent 1.7 was done in december of last year 09. 

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

Just an FYI - Verizon has released a 1.7 software upgrade and it has fixed a lot of users issues, but if your issue is not fixed by that upgrade, then you will want to check the hdtv forum at avsforum.com and see if you're tv manufacturer has put out a similiar upgrade (firmware), and try to take advantage of that.   

Verizon does these upgrades once maybe twice a year so the 1.8 upgrade is the next one, and there has not been a release date for that upgrade.  the recent 1.7 was done in december of last year 09. 

Actually, there is a 1.7.1 release that is currently being slowly rolled out across the footprint.  Don't know if it addresses any additional HDMI issue. 

To the OP - Have you tried using component cables (red, blue, green for video with full 1080i resolution)?  Not the ideal solution but it might help lower your blood pressure a bit Smiley Wink

OT - it is supposed to restore the guide and info bar on 7xxx boxes to 4:3 from stretched 16:9.

0 Likes
StuffOfInterest
Enthusiast - Level 3

1.7 fixed some of my issues with HDMI but not all.  I have a QIP 7216 DVR connected to a Sony receiver.  Also in the mix are a Sony Blu-ray player and Sony TV.  First off, if the QIP is connected to the receiver then Bravia Sync (HDMI-CEC) commands don't make it between components reliably.  Sometimes they are there and sometimes they are not.  Also, when the QIP is connected my Blu-ray refuses to send surround sound via HDMI to the receiver.  There I suspect that the QIP is interfering with HDCP handshaking between components.  For now I've switched to component video with digital audio for the QIP to receiver connection.  When 1.7.1 shows up in VHO4 I'll give HDMI another try.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

They keep working on the HDMI issues and they have fixed a lot of issues but obviously not all. Now the word being put out is if you are still having issues with HDMI, they will send you component cables. If you got someone offering you a credit, GET THEIR NAME!!!. Because, the official word is that HDMI are CPE (customer provided equipment) compatibility issues and since component cables work, it is not a service affecting situation and not subject to billing credit. So if you got someone to offer you a credit. Hold onto the info because it wont last. They will just tell you to switch to component cables and since component cables will give you the same resolution signal that HDMI will (within Verizon limits) they "officially" are still giving you the service promised.

0 Likes