Audio Problems and shortcomings of the Cisco CHS 435 HD-DVR
Neil64
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello All,

I had FIOS TV installed yesterday and encountered a couple of issues immediately.

First, I was told by various Verizon people that the HD-DVR that I would recive would support OTA antenna.  My Cisco HD-DVR dones't and the Verizon Tech/Installer didn't think the Motorola HD-DVRs that are being phased out do either.  How could they not support OTA antennas?  Any add on modules available?

Second, the FIOS picture qualtiy color and sharpness wise is not as good as a over the air antenna set at the same channel.  The Verizon Tech was dumbfounded and said he would have never belieived the difference but he couldn't argue with the on scren results.  Why the degraded picture quality if Verizon is not compressing the signal?

Third and most important, I loose audio on the RF output if the HDMI port is plugged into my TV and the TV is turned off.  I have a Panisonic Plasa TCP54G25 TV that is directly connected to the Cisco 435 via HDMI.  I have tried both HDMI 2 and 3 on the TV side.  I also have a VCR connected to the Cisco 435 via RF output and RG-59 or RG-6 cable.  If the TV is on, the VCR has audio.  As soon as the TV is turned off, the VCR looses audio until the HDMI cable is disconnected or the TV is turned on again.  I've tried the mute button, changing channels and been through the Cisco menus 5 times with no solution.  Can anyone help?

I appriceate any help or feedback that anyone can offer.

Thanks...

Neil

0 Likes
Re: Audio Problems and shortcomings of the Cisco CHS 435 HD-DVR
reels1

similar problem...with same dvr...installed 5/8....intermittent no audio, audio is fine while watching, then no audio at allhave to change channel to get audio back, a pain but at least if watching in real time can save the viewing experience, but unfortunately also had 3 dvr recordings with no audio at all, and can't go back for audio then...very disappointing considering i watch virtually everything recorded instead of in realtime...and especially bad when waiting to view an important sporting event such as the stanley cup playoffs!

i'll be calling support soon..just wanted to relay this and see if anyone else has this problem, and if they could hopefully tell me it can be fixed as i am satifsfied with all else, but this is a MAJOR problem and may very well cause me to go back to Comcast if it can be fixed

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

...First, I was told by various Verizon people that the HD-DVR that I would recive would support OTA antenna.  My Cisco HD-DVR dones't and the Verizon Tech/Installer didn't think the Motorola HD-DVRs that are being phased out do either.  How could they not support OTA antennas?  Any add on modules available?

There are no add ons for the DVR that you can use to gain extra functionality. The boxes themselve do not have internet antennas either

...Second, the FIOS picture qualtiy color and sharpness wise is not as good as a over the air antenna set at the same channel.  The Verizon Tech was dumbfounded and said he would have never belieived the difference but he couldn't argue with the on scren results.  Why the degraded picture quality if Verizon is not compressing the signal?

I am not sure what to say on this. My best advice is to go into the Video settings of the box to adjust the reoslution and sharpeness of the picture. Also I am sure your TV is calibrated to your OTA, go through calibrations again to make it look the best for your Verizon signal.  

...Third and most important, I loose audio on the RF output if the HDMI port is plugged into my TV and the TV is turned off.  I have a Panisonic Plasa TCP54G25 TV that is directly connected to the Cisco 435 via HDMI.  I have tried both HDMI 2 and 3 on the TV side.  I also have a VCR connected to the Cisco 435 via RF output and RG-59 or RG-6 cable.  If the TV is on, the VCR has audio.  As soon as the TV is turned off, the VCR looses audio until the HDMI cable is disconnected or the TV is turned on again.  I've tried the mute button, changing channels and been through the Cisco menus 5 times with no solution.  Can anyone help?

We are aware of the RF out problems with the box. This is to be resolevd in the next box software update

0 Likes
rvonder1

Sorry to reawaken this older thread, but the problem with losing audio on the RF output is still happening.  @Anthony_VZ, you posted almost a year ago that this was a known problem that would be "resolved in the next box software update".  Clearly there must have been updates since last May, but there's been no resolution yet.  Could you possibly look into this and give us an update as to when we might expect to see this finally solved?

It's clearly a bug related to HDMI handshaking between the STB and the main TV, where audio to the RF output is supplied only when the HDMI connection is active.  When you turn off the main TV, the STB sees that the HDMI connection has gone inactive (ie, handshaking stops) and it then incorrectly decides to turn off the RF audio even though the video remains working.

Like many others, I have HDMI connections from the STBs to their primary TVs.  I want to combine the RF outputs from my three DVRs/STBs and distribute the signal to a number of seldom-used TVs (e.g., in guest bedrooms) where the large monthly cost for additional STBs just doesn't make sense.  This capability is one of the things I really miss about my former Dish Network multi-room DVRs, and the problems with the RF outputs on the Cisco boxes just make things worse.  I really don't want to have to go back to using component video vs. HDMI from the STBs to the primary TVs, which is the only workaround I've heard.

Thanks!

0 Likes
MikeF2013
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've run into the same problem with loosing sound when recording on the VCR when the TV is turned off. We just recently signed up for Verizon, how can I get the software update for this box? (CHS 335HDC) Thanks.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes