Audio cuts out and video "freezes" every 10-15 seconds
Brett701
Enthusiast - Level 1

So I recently switched to Verizon (about 2 weeks ago) for internet and tv.  After about a week (with no video or audio issues), I decided that I wanted to get a DVR.  So they shipped me a DVR Set Top Box - model is CHS 435HDC.

When watching live TV the problem isnt THAT bad...every 1-2 minutes the audio will cut out and the video will pixelate for about 1 second, and then it continues right along.

When watching a TV show that I recorded on the DVR it is REALLY bad...basically unwatchable.  The audio and video will cut out briefly every 10-15 seconds, then it continues along normally for another 10 seconds or so then it cuts out for a second and continues again.

Obviously I'm going to ask for a different DVR to be sent to me but if it happens again with the next box I may just cancel and switch back to the "other guy".  This is a pretty bad start to what I thought would be a new and better experience.  (Im not even going to go into the horrible on-demand menu system.)

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem before with their DVR?

Thanks!

(Dont know if it matters but I am in Maryland)

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Audio cuts out and video "freezes" every 10-15 seconds
Lee_VZ
Contributor - Level 1

Generally but not always pixelation and picture break up is an issue with the signal to the set top box. Sometimes it's as simple as a loose coax cable, or the connector has come loose from the cable itself. There are other causes, but those are the easiest to start checking. I have sent you a private message to your forums inbox.

Lee_vz
Verizon Support

Notice: Content posted by Verizon employees is meant to be informational and does not supersede or change the Verizon Forums User Guidelines or Terms or Service, or your Customer Agreement Terms and Conditions or Plan.

View solution in original post

Lee_VZ
Contributor - Level 1

Generally but not always pixelation and picture break up is an issue with the signal to the set top box. Sometimes it's as simple as a loose coax cable, or the connector has come loose from the cable itself. There are other causes, but those are the easiest to start checking. I have sent you a private message to your forums inbox.

Lee_vz
Verizon Support

Notice: Content posted by Verizon employees is meant to be informational and does not supersede or change the Verizon Forums User Guidelines or Terms or Service, or your Customer Agreement Terms and Conditions or Plan.

Brett701
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for your response.  I will respond to your private message.  The DVR is now making strange scratching noises and I now have to uplug the dvr completely, plug it back in and wait for it to boot and then I can watch TV.  It no longer records my shows...the last one it was supposed to record stopped at the 18 minute mark.

The last time it it went though a boot up it gave me a message that said something like an unknown external harddrive is connected and if I accept my recording will be erased...something like that.  No idea what that means.

Thanks,

Brett

0 Likes
Brett701
Enthusiast - Level 1

I got a replacement DVR and it is working perfectly.  Im going to mark this as resolved.

Thank you,

Brett

0 Likes
Groucho531

My fios has been cutting out(Freezing audio and video)  for over a month now. Had 2 repairmen here 2 different times. Had 2 of the 5 settop boxes replaced, the battery backup replaced, the last time they cut out the connection that has been there for 5 years with NO problems..Still have the same problem. I will try one more time, with the next repairmen.. It that doesn't work then its back to DIRECT TV...The Internet is Great, the FIOS TV has many problems

0 Likes