Cable box display
specba
Enthusiast - Level 1

We just added TV service. Our new HD box doesn't have a display for the time/channel number. At first I thought the techs had turned it off because I saw the display during installation. I called tech support and customer service. Everyone who I spoke to had a different answer. Here are just a few I got over a few days:

1. It's a feature of the box. You can't change it, but we can send you an older model that has the display. Just call customer support after the holiday. Call made December 23

2. Your box is defective. We will send you a new one. (Placed an order for a new box. Still waiting) Call made December 27

3. Your new box won't have an active display either. It's the only model we have. December 27. When I asked if I could cancel the new box I was told "no."

4. I can fix all this for you, no problem. - Told to me by an account rep on December 27. (I was also trying to upgrade service.)

5. We had a run of boxes without active displays. The newer ones don't have that problem. December 28

6. "HD Boxes with displays are no longer available. Buy a clock". December 28

7. There is a control for that. Let me forward you to tech support. (Call was disconnected). December 28

8. You need to talk to customer service. Let me get someone for you. (After a period of time I was connected to the FCC automated complaint line.) December 28

I also tried on-line chat. It took several tries before it worked. I was put on hold while waiting for an answer. I left the computer after a ten-minute wait. When I returned the session had been closed.

There clearly needs to be better communication within Verizon. As for me, I didn't think it was possible to make Comcast look good. My service still hasn't upgraded, though the website says it has.The last tech I spoke to said, "I don't understand what your problem is, just wait a few days."

Given Verizon's technical superiority I couldn't understand why anyone would go back. Now I understand.

0 Likes
Re: Cable box display
JustaGuy
Contributor - Level 2

@specba wrote:

We just added TV service. Our new HD box doesn't have a display for the time/channel number. At first I thought the techs had turned it off because I saw the display during installation. I called tech support and customer service. Everyone who I spoke to had a different answer. Here are just a few I got over a few days:

1. It's a feature of the box. You can't change it, but we can send you an older model that has the display. Just call customer support after the holiday. Call made December 23

2. Your box is defective. We will send you a new one. (Placed an order for a new box. Still waiting) Call made December 27

3. Your new box won't have an active display either. It's the only model we have. December 27. When I asked if I could cancel the new box I was told "no."

4. I can fix all this for you, no problem. - Told to me by an account rep on December 27. (I was also trying to upgrade service.)

5. We had a run of boxes without active displays. The newer ones don't have that problem. December 28

6. "HD Boxes with displays are no longer available. Buy a clock". December 28

7. There is a control for that. Let me forward you to tech support. (Call was disconnected). December 28

8. You need to talk to customer service. Let me get someone for you. (After a period of time I was connected to the FCC automated complaint line.) December 28

I also tried on-line chat. It took several tries before it worked. I was put on hold while waiting for an answer. I left the computer after a ten-minute wait. When I returned the session had been closed.

There clearly needs to be better communication within Verizon. As for me, I didn't think it was possible to make Comcast look good. My service still hasn't upgraded, though the website says it has.The last tech I spoke to said, "I don't understand what your problem is, just wait a few days."

Given Verizon's technical superiority I couldn't understand why anyone would go back. Now I understand.

All of my HD Boxes display the time.  They display the channel number when inputing the number and when changing stations for about a minute, they then go back to displaying the time. I have both 7200 & 6200 model boxes.  This can be set in " Menu"  .."Settings".."Set Top Box".  There are 2 setting that effect how this is displayed.  First is "Show Clock" On/Off.  The second is "Standby Front Display" - Choices are "Show Time" / "Turn Off Display.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSTV/Receivers/User%20Guides/User%20Guides.htm

the new 7100 p2 does not have a front display.  it's a newer smaller lighter box,  prettier than the older boxes, but lack the front display

it's brand new so not everyone is on board with.  

0 Likes
JustaGuy
Contributor - Level 2

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSTV/Receivers/User%20Guides/User%20Guides.htm

the new 7100 p2 does not have a front display.  it's a newer smaller lighter box,  prettier than the older boxes, but lack the front display

it's brand new so not everyone is on board with.  

You are correct the P2 doesn' have a front display.  It does NOT have any screen at all, so I would never expect that the original poster would be asking how to show time/channel on a display that does not exist.  He also stated that he thought he saw the Time/Channel on the STB when it was being installed by the tech.  If there is no display as in the P2 how/where?

0 Likes
Screech1

Is this because the P2 model is cheaper. The time/channel display is sure a nice feature to have.

If I had received some of the responses listed, The State VA SCC  would have been contacted. I would rather have the larger/heavier P1 box (same size as the non-HD box). 

0 Likes
Screech1

Guess "brand new" does not mean better if it lacks the features of the old one. Go ahead, make it prettier but don't remove features.

And finding help on the web site is a joke. Every new selection seems to take you back in a circle without ever getting an answer. The one "chat" I got ended up with sales who suggested I contact Support but that path is an eternal loop. Not happy with that service aspect.

The VA SCC has already "smacked" Verizon over service complaints. You'd think they would improve.

0 Likes