CableCard with TiVo
Bkrazy

Hi, I'm looking to save some money. I was wondering if I get a TiVo box and use it with Verizon CableCard, do I need to subscribe to TiVo sevices in order for it to work? I don't need any TiVo special features or anything. I just want to be able to view my FIOS channel in standard and HD. I tried looking for TV with CableCard slot but I guess they don't make them anymore. Unless someone have any other idea or know if there's any TV out there with CableCard slot, 720p atleast?

0 Likes
Re: CableCard with TiVo
Replete
Contributor - Level 1

Yes you can use a cable card with a tivo and it will work great. But you need to subscribe to tivos monthly service for each tvo box you have (19.99 per month for the first, 15.99 for each of the other tivos if you have more), and pay the monthly fee for each cablecard to verizon (3.99). Of course you also have to buy the tivo boxes (newer models 75-100 dollars), but then you own them unlike fios dvrs. So, for most people, it doesn't end up being cheaper, it's more a matter of preference. You do need to pay the for the monthly tivo service to be able to use the tivo at all to watch live tv. 

0 Likes