Re: Caller ID and FIOS TV
Justin46
Legend

@mesostinky2 wrote:

Fios telephone service isn't voip? And yes not having caller id is jarring after switching from cablevision. Having to go get the phone when its ringing just to see its some telemarketer is annoying.

No it is not voip, it is plain old pots, just delivered to/from your house via fiber.

And for those of you that do not have Verizon Call Assistant, I highly recommend you get it, I think it will position you well when caller id becomes available. And for now, if you have VCA, you can set your laptop on your lap and see who is calling on it.

Just my $.02 worth (which of course buys absolutely nothing these days)

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
TEM3
Enthusiast - Level 3

In our SC townhouse we have the Time Warner package.  We do get the Caller ID information showing on our TV's.  BUT, there is no app (as far as I know) to pop up the information on the computers that are on the home network.  It would be nice if both companies offered both Caller ID displays.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Justin wrote:

And for those of you that do not have Verizon Call Assistant, I highly recommend you get it, I think it will position you well when caller id becomes available. And for now, if you have VCA, you can set your laptop on your lap and see who is calling on it.

It would be nice.

I have been trying for 5 weeks to order it but with absolutely no success.  Have tried online and via the business office.  The last attempt last week resulted in the business office passing it to technical support to determine why the option to order the product does not appear on the available products menu.  Have heard nothing from technical support but would really like it now as having converted to FiOS tv on Friday I was kind of shocked to see that there was no caller id feature on the TV display.  Now having to resort to my dual line Skype phone to see who is calling.

Was actually quite impressed that when we went to FiOS phone service my directv receiver started showing the caller id of a second caller if you were already using the phone which had never happened over the copper service.

0 Likes
JKennedy
Enthusiast - Level 3
Well shoot. LOL I wish I would have seen this thread as it seems more fitting. We have Caller ID available but so far 2 techs on 1 call for 45 minutes had no luck figuring out why it's not working, and 1 tech in VCA support thought he knew why this AM but it's still not working when all signs point to, it should. Here's a repeat of what I posted in the other thread. I wanted to pop this back up to the top. We have Caller ID available now as an option on both our STD and HD DVR's/STB but after enabling it and 2 days later it showing it was available, still no caller ID. I spent 45 minutes on the phone Friday night with 2 techs working on it and came up with nothing. He gave be a number to call Call Assistant support, who said the problem was that my Call Assistant account wasn't activated (verbiage on the TV I believe said that by accepting the terms, an acocunt would e activated) so they finally got it manually activated and still nothing. I can change settings, screen position etc. and nothing. Rev is 1.7, all 3 STB's show Caller ID is Available (vs. option to check for it). Friday night they reset ever piece of electrons in my house (I think they reset by toaster too LOL ) they re set the option on the HD DVR. Support seems to be ilequipped to support it as they say it's so new they haven't had many customers call about it yet. 1st line wasn't aware, or didn't know to check to make sure Call Assist was active. But it seems that's still a no-go. I know it works, friends have it. Any ideas, Justin? Since you have it working. .
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@JKennedy wrote:
Well shoot. LOL I wish I would have seen this thread as it seems more fitting. We have Caller ID available but so far 2 techs on 1 call for 45 minutes had no luck figuring out why it's not working, and 1 tech in VCA support thought he knew why this AM but it's still not working when all signs point to, it should. Here's a repeat of what I posted in the other thread. I wanted to pop this back up to the top. We have Caller ID available now as an option on both our STD and HD DVR's/STB but after enabling it and 2 days later it showing it was available, still no caller ID. I spent 45 minutes on the phone Friday night with 2 techs working on it and came up with nothing. He gave be a number to call Call Assistant support, who said the problem was that my Call Assistant account wasn't activated (verbiage on the TV I believe said that by accepting the terms, an acocunt would e activated) so they finally got it manually activated and still nothing. I can change settings, screen position etc. and nothing. Rev is 1.7, all 3 STB's show Caller ID is Available (vs. option to check for it). Friday night they reset ever piece of electrons in my house (I think they reset by toaster too LOL ) they re set the option on the HD DVR. Support seems to be ilequipped to support it as they say it's so new they haven't had many customers call about it yet. 1st line wasn't aware, or didn't know to check to make sure Call Assist was active. But it seems that's still a no-go. I know it works, friends have it. Any ideas, Justin? Since you have it working. .

Here is what I think I know (absolutely nothing official from Verizon) Smiley Happy

1. You must have the 1.7 level of the IMG (you have that)

2. You must have either: Verizon Digital Voice or Verizon Call Assistant (you hope you have VCA  Smiley Very Happy )

3. You must be in North Texas (you say your friends have it, are you in North Texas? Are they? Nearby? It would help if you updated your profile to include the city/state where you are located) As far as I know, no other parts of the country have Caller ID on TV yet (is this true? If not, please, somebody correct this, it was true a couple of weeks ago)

Now, assuming VCA is in fact required (I have it, have had it for 1 1/2 years, so don't really know if Caller ID on TV will work without it), you can check whether you have the VCA service by going to https://www22.verizon.com/callassistant/ and logging in. If you can log in and see a list of phone calls to your home phone, then your VCA service is working. If not, it isn't. It is not necessary to have the VCA PC client installed and active on a PC in your house for the Caller ID on TV to work (I know this for a fact as i pretty much never have the PC client active anymore on my PC).

If you have just finally gotten someone to activate VCA for you, it may take a day or two for it to really become active, it did for me.

I am not sure what else to tell you at this point. Yes, it works for me, and pretty reliably the last couple of weeks. Before that it was hit or miss.

Hope this helps.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
JKennedy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks Justin. So maybe I need to wait again.

1. I do have IMG 1.7

2. I do have digital voice as well as VCA (as of today) and I'm logged in to VCA so it's active

3. I'm in Flower Mound, that's why I replied to you since you're nearby. I didn't realize I hadn't updated my profile. 🙂

I'll give it a day or 2 again and see what happens.

I've gotta say, the verbiage in Caller ID in the Settings menu on the STB needs work. It's worded to sound like when you agree to the T&C (which you do during the C ID discovery) that VCA is activated whether you log on or not. And the number they include to call for help ought not have any of the tree (options) listed because if you follow the options to skip the 5 minutes of que-mercials, you'll end up at the wrong place. 😄

Anyway, it looks like all the STB's are config'd right, VCA is active now and there really isn't anything else obvious and whether it makes a difference or not, the guys on the phone the 1st time seemed to think it did, caller ID works fine on the phone. Thank's for your help. I'll let you know if it shows up. 😉

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

First: Unfortunately I made a mistake in my post last night. Sorry, no excuse, other than I was tired from long POA Board meeting... #2 should have said:

2. You must have either: [Verizon Digital Voice] or [Verizon Freedom Essentials + Verizon Call Assistant] (at least this is what I think is correct, also added the brackets to hopefully make the two options clearer)

Second: Hi neighbor! And thanks for updating your profile, now nobody should have to ask where you are when you ask or answer a question - except they are probably going to want to know where would a name like "Flower Mound" come from, since it kinda creates an image of a raised flower bed loaded with fertilizer made from cow poo Smiley Very Happy (just kidding, when my youngest son got married they lived in a apartment in Flower Mound and then bought a house there (before they moved to CA then back to TX and now to GA!).

Third: You have Verizon Digital Voice? Thats great, I have been thinking about trying to get it to save on taxes and fees, but I was not aware that it was actually available here in North Texas. I know it is available in some parts of the Northeastern US, but it is unclear, at least to me, who can get it, new customers only or any. I try to follow a number of forums on FiOS-related stuff, and it seems every Verizon rep has a different answer on the availability of Digital Voice. So how do you like it, and how did you get it? Do you have it included in a bundle, and did you break a bundle to get Digital Voice? Just wondering....thanks for any info you can provide.

And I hope you can get Caller ID on TV working, it's just a little thing, but when I am in the easy chair watching TV and the phone rings it is a lot easier to just see who it is on the screen that try to find the cordless phone. By the way, since I have Call Waiting Caller ID it shows who is calling even when my wife is on the phone!

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
JKennedy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks Justin.

Actually, as of this evening, it's working, but only on one TV, the main with the multi-room HD DVR.  The 2 standard STB's are a no go.  I guess i'll be calling in again, and have them reload options on those as well.

You'd think if it's going to be rolled out, there would at least, be instructions that it's going to be a PITA and what all needs to happnen.  Of course, that'll drive calls to the call center and who wants that.  😉

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@JKennedy wrote:

Thanks Justin.

Actually, as of this evening, it's working, but only on one TV, the main with the multi-room HD DVR.  The 2 standard STB's are a no go.  I guess i'll be calling in again, and have them reload options on those as well.

You'd think if it's going to be rolled out, there would at least, be instructions that it's going to be a PITA and what all needs to happnen.  Of course, that'll drive calls to the call center and who wants that.  😉

Well one is better than none, right Smiley Very Happy Glad at least one works.

What model STBs? If they are QIP2500-3 then they should work. If they are QIP2500-1 they won't, they don't have enough memory or something. I have one 2500-3 and one 2500-1, the -3 works, the -1 doesn't. However, if both of your SD STBs do show the Caller ID option then I guess both are -3 models, as my -1 does not even show the Caller ID option.

As to Help info, there originally was a Help option in the STBs under Caller ID, but there was no Help information provided. When I asked/complained about that, the Verizon solution was to remove the folder! And when I complained about that, I was told that Help info would be provided when the feature was more widely available. So there you are.....I guess once everybody as the service and gone through the PITA then Verizon will provide Help info to help them avoid the problems. Makes sense doesn't it Smiley Mad

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
JKennedy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well good news, after bouncing both STD STB's yesterday, both have caller ID working now.

It's nice because it hits before the phone even rings.  Tells me there's a lag in there but hey, it works so all is well.

Now it's time for the support agents to get some training on how this PITA really works.  😄  I think an old co-worker from the call center days is still with Verizon, training. 😉

BTW, I said earlier that I had Digital phone but what I have is the basic Freedom Essentials which I believe, contrary to how people sell it, the phone is standard residential service but carried on fiber vs copper.  If that's the case, I wonder why I'm paying more for it to get here via fiber?  Hmmmmm, we're not under contract anymore so maybe I need to see how to reduce this $4700 monthly bill.  Smiley Very Happy

0 Likes