Considering TiVo Roamio + TiVo Mini with FiOS - Questions on MoCA
tim_lopez
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am thinking of upgrading to the TiVo Roamio from the current TiVo HD set tops we have now. I'm curious if anyone on this community have used it with the TiVo Mini Boxes, and if the internal FiOS Coax is MoCA Ready. If it is, I'm curious how your setup is and what steps you had to take (did you have to use MoCA filters [not sure what those are for], any issues with the FiOS Router after hooking it up, can you just plug in to any part of the cable and hook up the MoCA devices and have them connect without issue). 

Moving over to the new TiVo would mean that I would only need to have one cable card instead of two, and can have TiVo Mini's in all the guest rooms and my office. Not considering the FiOS DVRs. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Considering TiVo Roamio + TiVo Mini with FiOS - Questions on MoCA
tim_lopez
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ironically, I received and installed my TiVo Roamio and TiVo Mini units just last night. 

To answer the questions for anyone else that may be wondering.

The FiOS Coax network that runs through your house is already a MoCA network. This means that you will be able to setup with ease. Simply plug-in the Roamio in to the Coax and select the MoCA network when asked. When hooking up the Mini's, you select to run on MoCA as well. It all just worked. No additional adapters or devices were needed. 

As for the Cable Cards - I already had a M-Card, so I didn't need to get any new ones. However, I did have to call Verizon to have them pair it with the new box. After pairing it, we have to force a Network Connection on the TiVo unit (where the TiVo contacts their servers and gets updates) twice. After doing this, it worked perfectly. 

Do not select to have the TiVo create a MoCA network, or else you'll disconnect your local network (too many collisions). If you do this accidentally, simply go back to the TiVo and change it back to use an existing MoCA network and your network will come back almost instantly. 

View solution in original post

vinnie
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well two and a half months late is better than nothing! First off, your TiVo HD will support a multi-stream CableCard -- just trade-in your two single stream cards for a multi-stream and you've achieved one objective. I just added a Roamio to my setup of two HD's. I was already running a MoCA network, but it got even easier with the Roamio. MoCA is great and almost plug-and-play with FiOS. I HIGHLY recommend it! I also recommend a POE (Point-of-entry) filter when implementing a MoCA network just insert it into the end of the first coax that comes out of the ONT. I provides privacy to your netowrk, which is actually irrelevent with FiOS, but it really increases network preformance. Hope this isn't too late to help.

0 Likes
tim_lopez
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ironically, I received and installed my TiVo Roamio and TiVo Mini units just last night. 

To answer the questions for anyone else that may be wondering.

The FiOS Coax network that runs through your house is already a MoCA network. This means that you will be able to setup with ease. Simply plug-in the Roamio in to the Coax and select the MoCA network when asked. When hooking up the Mini's, you select to run on MoCA as well. It all just worked. No additional adapters or devices were needed. 

As for the Cable Cards - I already had a M-Card, so I didn't need to get any new ones. However, I did have to call Verizon to have them pair it with the new box. After pairing it, we have to force a Network Connection on the TiVo unit (where the TiVo contacts their servers and gets updates) twice. After doing this, it worked perfectly. 

Do not select to have the TiVo create a MoCA network, or else you'll disconnect your local network (too many collisions). If you do this accidentally, simply go back to the TiVo and change it back to use an existing MoCA network and your network will come back almost instantly. 

trembert
Enthusiast - Level 1

Are you able to view Verizon program listings via Tivo Roamio, thanks!

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@trembert wrote:

Are you able to view Verizon program listings via Tivo Roamio, thanks!

Tivo gets its lising for Verizon programs independently of Verizons own listings.  Possibly now using the same program info provider, but their own formatting.

cordera23
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm intrigued by the Point of entry filter but I’m wondering if it is really needed for a FIOS system.  I can see filtering when the neighbors are on the same coax but doesn’t the ONT eliminate the need for this? 

0 Likes
marcoron
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi thanks for posting.  Can you verify what Tivo Roamio you have.  Is it just the basic TiVo Roamio with 4 tuners and not the Roamio Plus or Roamio Pro?  Thanks.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes