DVR Clips beginning of recorded program
PajamaGuy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Either the broadcast starts early, or the DVR clips the beginning of a recorded program WHEN its recorded the preceding program.  (...and DirecTV has this issue figured out)

Let me first say that after being a DirecTV customer (and CE beta-tester) for 16 years, I LOVE FiOS et al, and am NOT bashing it.

However the CISCO DVRs do have dual live buffers, and the rest is just software/programming, so this should NOT be happening.

Issue:  Recording consecutive programs on the same channel, the beginning of program #2 gets clipped by several seconds.

Example: Tuesday, 2/28, Channel 504, 9:00 &  10:00 p.m. recordings of NCIS:LA, and Unforgettable.  Although DVR indicates start of recording UNFORGETTABLE began at 10:00, the playback begins at least 15-30 seconds after the actual start of the program.

Most often, when there is NO active recording preceding a scheduled program, the scheduled recording starts at one minute prior to the hh:mm start time.  Programs scheduled to start at 10:00, actually start recording at an indicated 09:59.  And there is NO clipped loss of the beginning of the program.  However if there was a program recording in the hh:mm -to- 10:00 time slot, the indicated start time of the 10:00-to-hh:mm program will be 10:00, AND the beginning 15-30 seconds is usually missing.

Specifically last night:  The first 56 seconds of the 10:00 program (Unforgettable) is actually recorded with the preceding program (NCIS:LA).  And that recording's timeline shows that it recorded 01:31 (60 min and 31 seconds).  Its listing shows it started at 09:59. 

So - at least for last night on ch 504, either the DVR's clock was off, or its software screwed up.  (and the clock is within 2 seconds of the atomic clock in Colorado)

AND - especially when there are no parallel recordings going on, there's no reason why the DLBs shouldn't prevent any clipping.

PJ
CISCO CHS 435HDC (2)
CISCO CHS 335HDC (1)
1.9 Build:12.40

0 Likes
Re: DVR Clips beginning of recorded program
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

If you are having an issue with your Verizon service, you can use the Verizon Troubleshooter to fix and report issues with your Verizon Phone, FiOS TV, or Internet Service. You can also schedule a repair. Here is the link: http://www.verizon.com/repair

You can also find tools on the Verizon Residential Support page that may help you diagnose your issue: http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Many networks no longer start their shows right on the hour/half hour.  ITs done by them on purpose.  ABC has often varied this by 3 mintues or more.  Because of this being less then a minute off is doin quite good with DVR's.

Slightly compounding this on DVR's and with cable/satellite services is that their is a noticable several second delay between the DVR and say the OTA version of a program.

0 Likes
PajamaGuy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the reply - ORNAHP's reply wasn't useful at all.  I'm not a noob, and even if the DVR's self-fix worked, since I'd already run it less than a week ago, it's really a no-fix.  And calling 1st line tech support is a waste of time. 

It's still just a software thing.  Even though the providers have an agreement with the broadcasters to not supply/use the start &  end-markers (which would compensate for late-starting & late-ending programs) padding the recording by 30 seconds or so would fix most issues.  As I said, DirecTV incorporated the fix - and it's seamless.  FiOS could do it, and probably will, eventually.

Fortunately, it only happens when there is a recording immediately preceding, and you can get the first 30-60 seconds of the 2nd recording by watching the last bit of the preceding one.

PJ
CISCO CHS 435HDC (2)
CISCO CHS 335HDC (1)
1.9 Build:12.40

0 Likes
marcfb9000

Intersting that this topic and problem have not been resolved. I frequently record shows that are back to back on the same channel. I always miss the end of the first show and the beginning of the second show. I believe this is due to the inherent delays between the broadcast and the delivery to my home. There are significant delays. I have spoken with my son on the phone and compared off air shows to my viewing. You can't extend the first show when you are recoding the next show on the same channel. DVR reports a conflict. As a former engineer, I can think of several "fixes" and I am suprized this issue still exists. it is now 2016 and the posts on this subject are 4 years old!!!! Come on FIOS and Motorola, you can solve this.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes