DirecTV DVRs are dying.. Need to prepare to switch to FiOS
mphare
Contributor - Level 2

One of my 3 DirecTivo units just died. Probably a power supply. I've replaced them before, it's not hard, but it is about $70 for the PS. I've been considering the switch th FiOS anyway, so maybe now is the time.

I'm going to need to replace my DTV Multiswitch with a multi-set (1 x 3) splitter and I'm going to need to tap into the home run back to the ONT with a splitter to feed the ActionTec MoCA router in the wiring closet.

Are there any special considerations when spec'ing these splitters, or can I just get the basic RCA devices from Radio Shack?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: DirecTV DVRs are dying.. Need to prepare to switch to FiOS
Hubrisnxs
Legend
The important things are rg6 tri or quad shield wiring. If you have any amplifiers, be prepared to remove them (fios doesn't need them) and make sure you are using 5-1000 mhz splitters. 1 run for each cable box plus 1 for the actiontec moca router. If you plan on gettig new tv's then make sure to get a big enough splitter to support growth, and cap off any unused termination points.

🙂

View solution in original post

mphare
Contributor - Level 2

I assume I need to be running RG6 from the mainline down to the ActionTec.

I also assume I only need one RG6 cable network in the house. DirecTV needed two, so the second set of RG6 will go dark.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
The important things are rg6 tri or quad shield wiring. If you have any amplifiers, be prepared to remove them (fios doesn't need them) and make sure you are using 5-1000 mhz splitters. 1 run for each cable box plus 1 for the actiontec moca router. If you plan on gettig new tv's then make sure to get a big enough splitter to support growth, and cap off any unused termination points.

🙂