How is FiOS wired for VOD? Giving up on Verizon fixing the problem....
bromo9991
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have had a pixelation problem with VOD and the purchased titles in "My Library" for going on two months.  Verizon sent a tech out, who did nothing. After posting a complaint on here (basically asking how to get refunded for the video titles I have purchased),  I was contacted by a very knowledgable Verizon tech who sent me a new wireless router, but after I installed the router, I missed his call back and for some reason I have not heard back, so I think if this is going to get fixed, I'm going to have to do it myself..

Can anyone point me to a technical explanation of how FiOS is wired in my house and what VOD actually uses?  Its my understanding that VOD programs are fed to the set-top box through the FiOS router over the internet connection.  I also read somewhere that there are two internet channels coming into the house, one for internet that is set to whatever level of internet I am paying for and the other is a wide-open pipe dedicated to VOD... is this correct?   I'm trying to understand this better so I can know where to start replacing cables, etc... as I believe that is probably where the issue is.  (altho this problem just started a couple of months back during an 8 day period of constant heavy rain.. not sure its related..but VOD was perfect before then)

For the record I have a new HD-DVR and new router as a result of this problem, but neither has made a difference. 

In the meantime, we have started spending all of our VOD dollars with AMAZON since the quality of their programs over the internet is absolutely perfect, not a single blip.   The last show we tried to watch from Verizon, we actually had 10-20 second blackouts of the audio throughout the show... just turned it off. 

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: How is FiOS wired for VOD? Giving up on Verizon fixing the problem....
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

bromo999 wrote:  I also read somewhere that there are two internet channels coming into the house, one for internet that is set to whatever level of internet I am paying for and the other is a wide-open pipe dedicated to VOD... is this correct?  

No it is not correct.  First of all there is no such thing as "a wide open pipe" and there is not a dedicated VOD channel.  There is a single downstream IP color (laser frequency) and a single upstream on the fiber that is converted by the ONT (the big box hooked to the incoming fiber where the optical to electrical conversions occur - MoCA for most installations [Multimedia Over Coax]).  You are provisioned for your subscribed speed and when you order a VOD your downstream is raised to allow for the increased bandwidth for the VOD while minimally impacting your actual Internet subscribed speed.

As for the new router, should just involve removing the connections from the old one and hooking them up to the new one, nothing for the tech to do other than help you verify the speeds being delivered to the STBs (all the incoming speed configuration is done at the ONT not the router).

Several possibilities for pixellation and dropouts are:

1. Cabling and splitters.  The VOD is delivered at > 1 GHz from the router to the STB over the coax.  First thing to check is if the router is delivering the right speeds over the coax (can be found by logging into the router and looking at the MoCA stats - should be around 180 M for each STB). 
  2. Check that all the connections to the splitters are tight.  Also, are all your cable runs RG-6 coax (not the older RG-59) and are the connectors compression and not crimp?  Check the connectors on both sides of any wall plates - they are typically a pass thru barrel and have connectors on both sides.
  3. The router itself (had this one happen to me).  If this is the problem then the replacement sent by Verizon should fix the issue.
  4. Are you running any Internet traffic at the same time you are watching VOD?  Should not be a problem, but with some of the higher rate provisioned tiers it has been reported to possibly be an issue (especially if running things like torrents or someone is playing online games).
  5. Keep in mind that you can only watch ONE HD VOD at a time (don't know if that is appropriate, just mentioning).

One piece of advice is that after you try any of the "fixes" and want to see if everything is working try using one of the free HD programs (movies from any premiums you subscribe to or any of the broadcast channels like CBS or NBC [not suggesting FOX or ABC as they are 720p and the ones suggested are 1080i and therfore use higher bandwidth]).

Re: How is FiOS wired for VOD? Giving up on Verizon fixing the problem....
bromo9991
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the information!    

I am planning on going through the connections/cable and tighten/replace everything thats suspect.  I don't think there are any issues with capacity or competing for bandwith... many times the wife and I watch VOD  early on Saturday or Sunday morning when the rest of the house is still asleep.  The problems seem very consistent (bad!) regardless of time of day or other activity... I never see it seem ..better.   And as mentioned, VOD worked perfectly for a 12-14 months..not a burp, until 2 months ago. 

Regarding the field tech, I guess I expected that since I have been paying for inside wiring insurance for 14 years that if the problem wasn't resolved by whatever hardware he replaced... HE would move on to checking the wiring instead of telling my son there was nothing he could do and the problem was likely the wires. ...but ...even that  point is moot since he didn't  suggest changing the router, that came from a phone tech a week later... ..sorry... guess I'm still venting a little... 

Thanks again for advice, I'll let you know how it turns out. 

Bob 

0 Likes