New to Fios - guide information making me crazy!
misterb

So, I left cable and came to Fios.  So far, I'm happy with mostly everything, but the guide information on my DVR is so terrible that it is ruining the whole experience.  I'm setting up to record only new episodes of The Simpsons, and the guide thinks that every syndicated episode (2 reruns a day) is new.  So now I have 10 episodes scheduled to record this week.  When a new episode eventually comes on, it'll probably be deleted as the DVR continues to fill up with old episodes.

The non-syndicated repeat of The Simpsons on Sunday shows up as a repeat, so why can't the syndicated versions do the same?

Same goes with Lost on ABC.  2 reruns this weekend show up as new episodes.  If cable can get this straight, why can't Fios?

0 Likes
Re: New to Fios - guide information making me crazy!
Justin46
Legend

Because the guide data provider Verizon chose, FYI Television Inc., can't seem to do it right. And unfortunately Verizon apparently has decided they cannot change providers. If you search this site (fyi tv guide) you should find several threads on this subject.

Two options I know of:

1) Keep the DVR cleaned off so you don't lose things you want to keep.

2) Get a Tivo HD DVR. Will cost you more money, but should work better, larger hard drive and can be expanded, better guide data, etc, but you will lose the Verizon VOD and guide (but you want to lose the guide anyway, right?).

Maybe sometime in the future.....

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Re: New to Fios - guide information making me crazy!
brw9100
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah, this issue has been discussed a number of times here.  To put it bluntly, the guide sucks.  For instance, the program description for Saturday's baseball game on Fox was "Original air date 4/11/09."  Gee, that told me a lot about who was playing - it also made me do a double take of the calendar to make sure that it was indeed 4/11/09 and not some day in the future. 

For whatever reason Verizon simply seems to be ignoring the horribly poor quality of the guide which we all pay for as part of our service. 

FWIW, I've stopped automatic recording of some series for the very reason you mention.  I was recording only "new" episodes of Big Love (on HBO) but the DVR recorded the same episode about 5 times per week so I gave up on it.  Now I just have to remember to set up recording within a day or so of new episode broadcasts.

0 Likes