Nim100 and fios connection issues
enzo2813

This is a little mix of fios tv and internet, but I feel it's more applicable here.

I have a nim100 set up in one of our rooms behind a splitter(the other end going to a STB). Upon powering on the nim, everyone stays connected for the first couple of days. After that, it seems that a random box will refuse to connect, losing guide data and VoD. I know HD will take more bandwith, so that's why we have our nim 100 behind a splitter in a room with a nonHD box to prevent any issues, but we're still faced with loss of guide data/VoD on one of the boxes(it doesn't matter if its HD or standard). And every now and then all boxes will lose connectivity and the router will need to be reset. And normally a reset will fix things, but right now even with a reset my HDbox will still refuse to connect. Is there any way to get a nim100 working on the network without having any problems? Because I would rather not have to spend over a thousand bucks to rewire the house with cat5e.

Thanks in advance for your help,

A

0 Likes
Re: Nim100 and fios connection issues
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Nim100 set up's work all the time with fios, there are a lot of folks that have it.  they are older equipment though so it could be the NIM, but more importantly it's probably the router OR the cabling.   When I say cabling I am talking about the coax.

because we don't know exactly where the problem is, you are going to have a little process of elimination.  

So if it happens at random cable boxes then it might the splitter moreso than the coax.   But I would start with replacing the coax run going between the nim and the splitter.  you can first try to simply reseat the cable, that sometimes is enough to fix a problem, but replacing it is cheap.  heck if this is an ongoing issue I'd even replace the splitter.   I would go that far before replacing coax runs to other cable boxes.

You may even be able to call the tech support guys and have them send you a newer verizon router.  the verizon router's that they give out now have NIM's built into them, so it would replace both your nim at the house and your router.    if you don't want to redo your set up for any reason and you REALLY like the nim,  then try this with a different router, and just see if it's the router.  

A lot of people have that set up without a hitch, so you're just having a problem somewhere.  It's either the router or the splitter/coax   OR remote possibility is that it's the nim itself.     those are hard to come by, you can only really find it from private sellers or on ebay.

@enzo2813 wrote:

This is a little mix of fios tv and internet, but I feel it's more applicable here.

I have a nim100 set up in one of our rooms behind a splitter(the other end going to a STB). Upon powering on the nim, everyone stays connected for the first couple of days. After that, it seems that a random box will refuse to connect, losing guide data and VoD. I know HD will take more bandwith, so that's why we have our nim 100 behind a splitter in a room with a nonHD box to prevent any issues, but we're still faced with loss of guide data/VoD on one of the boxes(it doesn't matter if its HD or standard). And every now and then all boxes will lose connectivity and the router will need to be reset. And normally a reset will fix things, but right now even with a reset my HDbox will still refuse to connect. Is there any way to get a nim100 working on the network without having any problems? Because I would rather not have to spend over a thousand bucks to rewire the house with cat5e.

Thanks in advance for your help,

A

0 Likes
enzo2813

Hmm, well I have replaced the splitter twice and coax cable 4 different times, so I don't think it's that. And I have the newer router(or at least I'm almost sure I do), but I need the nim 100 to be at the top of my house because the fios router wifi won't reach from the basement. And to move the router we would have to rewire the house, because we don't have any cat5/6 ports in the house except for the basement. I guess I can try another nim100, but I still can't imagine this being a hardware error. 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

are you at least seeing the RF light?  if not then it's not seeing the highter range moca frequency, and that would indicate either a bad splitter - bad cable to the nim or the nim itself.    you can always get a 2nd actiontec or another nim, but it could just be the coax run itself.    if you replaced the splitter and they were both 1ghz rated then it's likely the coax run or the nim itself.   

0 Likes
enzo2813

The ethernet/wired light is a solid green and the RF light is blinking on 1 second intervals. 

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@enzo2813 wrote:

The ethernet/wired light is a solid green and the RF light is blinking on 1 second intervals. 

I believe the blinking RF light indicates a weak MoCA signal - detectable but not sufficient to lock and operate.  Try connecting it closer to the ONT (in front of one of your splitters) and see if it works there.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're not going "thru" the nim100 are you?   It should be "cable from wall" into the splitter with the one side of the splitter going to the NIM and the other to your STB.   The MoCA network (lan of cable) network is a single collision domain -- a single 200mbs of shared bandwidth amongst all devices -- so it doesn't matter where you have it, all the STB's and the NIM will share the bandwidth.

For the splitter, are you using at a minimum a 5-1000mhz rated splitter?  Many of the older splitters (left over from the pre-digital days) are only good up to 900mhz and the Moca LAN typically is running on  either 1000mhz or 1150mhz.

No other splitters anywhere (all the STB's need to talk to both the ONT and the router -- ONT for video and router for the guide, home DVR, etc..

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

you may even want to temporarily disconnect the other coax runs if you're still having trouble with it

get it to be just the ont, the main coax cable, the first splitter, and the nim 100 

stop there and see if you get any trouble out of it.   if you do then replace the nim with an actiontec (verizon will probably send you one for free since that's an older set up, or you may have one lying around)   and see if you get the same thing.  

that will at least tell you if it's the nim or not right? 

0 Likes
Puff

A NIM should only have to be used if you have more than 7 set top boxes in your house. If this is the case the NIM needs to be connected to a splitter with a low by pass filter on the input and connected to the router with a ethernet cable. The NIM will provide another 7 IPs for more set top boxes. Hope this helped. 

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Another use for a NIM is to extend the ethernet connection to a location where you can't reach with a direct Cat5 run from the router or don't or can't use wireless.   I use a MoCA bridge to connect my upstairs computers (connected to a small ethernet switch and then intro the adapter) to the router in my basement across an existing Coax run.     Faster than wireless.

0 Likes