No 5.1 sound on Cisco 435 STB
Ivan303

I just had my Motorola STB replaced with a Cisco 435.  Since the replacement I no longer get 5.1 sound.  The tech who replaced the box did not know how to activate it.  On the old Motorola I had to enable passthrough audio option to get 5.1 sound. 

Anyone know how to activate it on the Cisco box?

Thanks,  

0 Likes
Re: No 5.1 sound on Cisco 435 STB
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I use the passthrough option on my motorola as well, I have seen a lot of people talk about the cisco's and I have never seen anyone ever get a similiar screen on the cisco.  They can get to the settings screen by holding down the D key for like 3 - 4 seconds, then you'll see the LED blink, and then you can hit the ok button, and that will get you into the settings.   maybe check around there, and see if there is anything that will let you do it?

report back to home base.

Also make sure the program you are trying to watch has the Dolby Digital image in the info screen.  not everything is 5.1 on fios, but a lot is.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

I have been told there is no hidden settings menu like you could find on the Motorola. Perhaps there will be a fix in the 1.9.1 when it gets released at some point for these Cisco boxes. I too switched from Moto to Cisco. Was one of the first before it was possible. Was not smooth. But I asked for it. It has been brought to Verizon's attention regarding the two different type of settings for HDMI where various TVs and some Vizo models default to the wrong setting, and can't be forced to change like on the Motorola, and some issue with optical. If you want the diagnostics menu, on the front of the box, stb in stand-by mode, hold the OK button and left arrow down for about three seconds.

0 Likes
Ivan303

Thanks guys.

I was able to get to the diagnostic menu - and see the audio setting is LPCM.   But this seems to be display only there doesn't seem to be a way to change it to what I need 'passthrough'

Maybe the techs have a way to change these settings via the USB port?

BTW I am connecting using HDMI.

0 Likes
Ivan303

Thanks guys.

I was able to get to the diagnostic menu - and see the audio setting is LPCM.   But this seems to be display only there doesn't seem to be a way to change it to what I need 'passthrough'

Maybe the techs have a way to change these settings via the USB port?

BTW I am connecting using HDMI.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

I have been told there is no way to change that setting on CIsco, or force the change like on the Motorola boxes through the hidden menus. The setting even on the Motorola boxes should be handled by the HDMI handshake, which does not function properly on some TVs. If you had to force the setting on Motorola. chances are that your TV is not working nicely with the HDMI handshake. Be it the Motorola or the Cisco STB. I have heard that the Vizio TVs have been some of the worst culprits. But then again some of the Samsung TVs have also had issues. I have an older Samsung and have never had the issue. But I am not running 5.1 on the TV and running HDMI to the TV and Fiber from the TV to the 5.1 receiver. I have asked for a setting in the firmware or next img where those parameters can be set in the aido settings of the STB/DVR menu. If you are not having audio cut outs, then your issue is not as bad as others. Some have had to used component video and seperate audio cables.

0 Likes
Ivan303

I am running HDMI from the Cisco to a Sony 5.1 receiver.  Then HDMI from the receiver to the TV.  I always use the receiver for audio.  I also run a PS3 into the same receiver and I have no problems with the 5.1 sound from it.  That's what make me think it is a problem with the STB.   I am not having audio cut out problems just no 5.1.

Looking at the STB manual on-line it looks like there is supposed to be a 5.1 indicator on the display - I have never seen it lit.  Has anyone seen this on the display?

Thanks,

0 Likes
Ivan303

Well I tried using component video and optical and guess what - it works.

So it seems like the HDMI audio output from the STB is not working as expected.

I will switch to optical - it's not the solution I was looking fro, but at least I have 5.1 sound now.

0 Likes